1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview help please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by catherine1968, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi

this is my first post, so HELLO![​IMG]

I have been working casual hours for a while and was recently told there is a vacancy and would I like to apply for it?

I have an interview next week, and I imagine the other casual staff will also apply. I love the job and have been working with the teacher that the vacancy is with ( as well as another casual TA who is likely to apply).

What type of questions am I likely to be asked? The HT has said it will only be a casual chat, but I am already stressing!!!

Thank you for any help!

2. Hi

this is my first post, so HELLO![​IMG]

I have been working casual hours for a while and was recently told there is a vacancy and would I like to apply for it?

I have an interview next week, and I imagine the other casual staff will also apply. I love the job and have been working with the teacher that the vacancy is with ( as well as another casual TA who is likely to apply).

What type of questions am I likely to be asked? The HT has said it will only be a casual chat, but I am already stressing!!!

Thank you for any help!

3. Hi,
    Just a quick note . My advise would be to
    • Read up on Health and Safety .
    • Look smart and neat
    • smile
    • Think before you answer the question
    • Ask yourself do you really want this job , do you have the stamina ,are you prepared for long hours and low pay !
    • Do you like children , what age groups do you prefere to work with , can you cope with really naughty pupils
    Can you work with other members of the team ,are you flexible , can you work on your own initiative
    Where do you see yourself in a few years time .
    I wish you lots of luck as Teaching assisitant jobs are very hard to find .

4. R13

R13 New commenter

I'd also avoid using words like 'naughty' in your interview. It's best to focus on teaching and changing the behaviour and labelling a child as naughty could look negative

5. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

First of all do NOT label any child as 'naughty' that instantly gives out a negative perspective as the child's behavior can be associated to many things. Secondly as you are already working in a casual manner in the school your work and attitude towards children will not have gone un-noticed and the fact that you have been asked if you would like to apply for the job sound positive to me and that someone has already recognised some good qualities in your.

As it is going to be a 'casual' chat I'm sure it won't be too formal and the questions might involve things such as:
    How doe you feel about......
    How would you respond to .....

Things I would be prpared for are questions on working with the class teacher such as how you would feed back children's progress if you had been working with a team. ( Could answer that you could chat with teacher to come up with a workable process for this)

What would you do if a child disclosed something to you (you need to be aware of the school procedure for child protection and who the child protection designated person is in the school)

Could a a question/chat about working relationship with the current teacher you are working with now and what you feel. (never say anything negative unless you don't want the job) However, I personally think it is OK to acknowledge that there may be a difference of opinion at times but as a TA it is important to recognise the two roles and that the teacher has overall responsibility for what goes on in class and with the children in her class.
    Good luck with the interview