1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW HELP PLEASE! Using an artefact as a stimulus for writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kbingham1, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have my first interview for a teaching job on Wednesday for a Reception class. It's my dream job so I'm desperate to makea good impression!
    I have to do an introduction to a lesson (15 minutes) for 6 reception/ yr 1 children using an artefact as a stimulus for writing.
    I was thinking about something relating to Gambia as I have justcompleted a multi- cultural placement over there. Was thinking maybe we could recieve a postcard from Gambian children about where they live, the weather, what they like to play with etc and have a bag of Gambian artefacts such as a drum, doll, batik etc for the children to look at/ discuss.
    Then to lead to writing a postcard back about where they live?
    I'm worried this will be too unfamiliar though?
    Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance! x

2. I think your idea of linking it to your own strengths is really good. Include on your planning how you would lead into writing task and what objectives you would be able to teach after your introduction.
    Perhaps limit the artefacts to 1 or 2 - maybe either something they would have to work out what it's used for, or something that could be compared to what they use e.g. clothes. Clothes are good as you can dress a child up which gets the whole class interested.