1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Help - I need sublevel descriptors for maths!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahw1407, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I have an interview, and for the teaching element it states:
    'APP AF Num level 3 – To begin to understand the role of ‘=’, the equals sign e.g. solve ‘balancing’ problems such as 7x10=82-?'
    I will have 12 children - four each at levels 3b, 3a and 4c.
    My question is where do I find sublevel descriptors to fit this so I plan my lesson at the correct point? I have scoured the internet to no avail. I am working as a supply teacher at the moment so cannot get them from school...are they some kind of state secret, only available to those who have actually signed a contract?
    I'm thinking anyway to use balance scales with Cuisinaire (might be a novel use of the rods...)

2. I have an interview, and for the teaching element it states:
    'APP AF Num level 3 – To begin to understand the role of ‘=’, the equals sign e.g. solve ‘balancing’ problems such as 7x10=82-?'
    I will have 12 children - four each at levels 3b, 3a and 4c.
    My question is where do I find sublevel descriptors to fit this so I plan my lesson at the correct point? I have scoured the internet to no avail. I am working as a supply teacher at the moment so cannot get them from school...are they some kind of state secret, only available to those who have actually signed a contract?
    I'm thinking anyway to use balance scales with Cuisinaire (might be a novel use of the rods...)

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Problem is sarahw, they don't actually exist, they never did. Level descriptors were only created for each level. The sub-levels emerged from SATs, mainly in my view to cover the embarrassment of children getting stuck in level 3 for years. They can only have meaning across a group; for an individual when considering their attainment of a particular objective most people use rules of thumb such as 'some elements', 'mostly' and 'secure understanding' with regard to the relevant statement in the level descriptor.

4. Ahh. probably should have known that. Schools do seem awfully keen on their sub-levels, though!

5. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Click on the 'supporting document' link. Will have exactly what you need.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learning/west_sussex_grid_for_learning/curriculum/mathematics/primary_mathematics/assessment/progression_through_sublevels.aspx