1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview frustrations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scienceteachasghost, Jul 18, 2019.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Looks like I've inspired an anonymous primary school teacher to write an article about interviews on TES! (Cant get link)

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

171 - DHT interview at large comprehensive. Scheduled for 2 days, plus one for those short-listed. First day was a series of tests/simulations etc run by an outside recruitment company. One of them was a 'selection committee' where we were all given information on one of the candidates for a scholarship, and had to persuade the rest of the committee (the other interviewees) that they should vote for our candidate. We all spoke in favour of our man/woman, and then debated who should be the recipient.

To cut a (boring) story short, we all spoke, me last, and after about 5 minutes of discussion, they all agreed that my person should be chosen. Great, I thought, I must be more persuasive than I thought. We finished the session early...

Later, in feedback, I was told that I'd failed that part of the selection as I had 'won' too easily! :confused: I wasn't short listed for the last day...

Lilysowner and agathamorse like this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I can add an erupting volcano to that list. I had to cancel two in one week because of that blooming Icelandic one which stranded me abroad.

4. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

172 - in tray exercise on marking. Internal candidate tells other 5 candidates that they did this exercise in their staff meeting the previous week.

5. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

173 - being given a timetable for the day and then left sitting in the staff room for 2 hours on your own after lunch. Head then coming into staff room having completely forgotten you were there and giving you a very short and box ticking interview

6. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

174 - being asked 'If we were to offer you the job would you accept it?' This before they have interviewed the other two candidates. What can you say but yes? Which I did while thinking - actually I really don't want to work here - uncared for staffroom with uncomfortable vibes coming from current staff. Thank goodness they offered it to someone else. Lucky escape - I met the one who got the job - he had left after a term - said it was awful.

7. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

175 - wasting a whole day at an interview when you know the other candidate is the one they want so you are just there to make up the numbers. This happened to me twice - beaten by the same person - who to be fair was is good and well respected and I like them. (They hated the second school, despite the head being a friend of a friend - and left through WRS - retired). Really though - why bother interviewing me when you know before the interview day who you are going to employ?

8. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

Being told repeatedly on the day of the interview that they are looking for an experienced teacher with significant experience of teaching the subject to A level, as the only existing member of staff who teaches the subject to A level will be going on maternity leave early in the new school year so the successful candidate will need to be responsible for all A level teaching. Then they appointed an NQT who had openly told us earlier in the day that she didn't have a hope of getting the job because she'd never taught A level, and was confused about why they'd even invited her to the interview.

agathamorse and DexterDexter like this.
  9. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

These all ring true from when I was job searching a few years ago.
    Presently whilst looking for a job after a short term post, I’ve not even been shortlisted! I know I’ve met the application criteria as I’ve directly addressed it.

How are you all getting interviews???
    Even if it’s hopeless, you’ve all had a day away from your usual work!!!!

10. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

176 - all sitting in reception when the last candidate arrives - a smug t**t who introduces himself by saying ‘hi I’m
    Carl and I’m going to get this job’

And he did (this was back in the day when they made you wait to find out so you did small talk in the staffroom until they called one candidate out to offer them the job, at which point you all bitched about said candidate and then went home)

11. cheesypop

177 - a data task where they have what they said was an anonymous school’s Raise Online and after 20 mins scrutiny you had to give top 3 priorities. Started feedback with ‘well wherever this school is it’s a mess isn’t it!’
    Yep, it was their data.
    Nope, didn’t get that job

12. cheesypop

178 - school council question ‘if you were an animal, what would you be and why?’

Oh do **** off...

13. cheesypop

179 - school council again but these ones had clearly watched the interview episodes of The Apprentice and openly mocked all answers, while the candidates all wondered whether giving them a detention for their rudeness would be considered inappropriate....

14. cheesypop

180 - when you’ve specifically asked for certain technology for your lesson (nothing revolutionary, just a whiteboard and sound) but despite assurances there is no such thing in the room and your starter isn’t quite as punchy if you have to explain the video...

Lilysowner likes this.
  15. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

I tell you no lies. It was kind of blindingly obvious to the rest of us. But then someone dopey enough to share the revelation that the job was a foregone conclusion was also too dopey to see that coming. No cameras in the schoolyard in those days. Well possibly cameras were less ubiquitous. It was blindingly obvious to the rest of us (from the looks I mean) what Z was potentially going to do but we were all sooo p*ssed off with Y we said nowt.

Yes had a few long job searches. They seem to be like buses. Never one when you are desperate then come three at once.

16. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

This happened to me.

I actually got the job but I was so exhausted by the time parents evening started that a group of parents complained about my performance and the job offer was withdrawn at the end of the next day, which was the last day of half term so it was a real task to find someone to explain it to me.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. welshskyline

welshskyline New commenter

When I was looking for a first teaching post in 1982 I was somewhat surprised to walk into a large room at Barnsley College of Technology to find that there were 20 people facing me. It was the entire Education Committee, the “interview” lasted aporox 13 minutes, partly because it was clear that it was a set-up. A few discussions with various PAs, secretaries etc and it appears that the job was earmarked for someone who was already “in the system”.

Sounds bad? There was also a national rail strike that week and it took me 1.5 days to actually get to Barnsley.

PS the Education Committee, as you can imagine, all got to claim their expenses for the day.

PPS never been to Barnsley since. I hear it is a complete dump.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. welshskyline

I am very sorry. I should not have described Barnsley as a dump. The correct description is, of course, “shithole”.

agathamorse and bombaysapphire like this.
  19. welshskyline

Good job I never got that job. Who knows, I could have got caught up in one of the greatest “franchising” scandals of the 1990s if I had been successful.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Lilysowner

Lilysowner New commenter

Absolutely no idea what number we’re up to but sending invites at 4:30pm to candidates for an interview for 8:30am THE NEXT DAY. Good luck getting your leave form signed, cover set then lesson planned before the school site shuts down. Oh, and a road protest is planned to hit your journey to that interview from 7am onwards.

agathamorse likes this.