1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview frustrations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scienceteachasghost, Jul 18, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

153 Asked for examples of my materials produced via ICT skils. Panel ask to study materials after interview. Then later asked why I printed them on blue paper. Panel member seems annoyed by reponse makes them harder to photocopy. Then fake smile + asked if I have electronic copies. after being told that would be happy to share resources with colleagues, panel member lies and says you have the job. Panel told resources not shared until contract is signed. Rejected for job after all.

2. afterdark

154 Asked about levelling the playing field when applying to a selective all girls school. Where subject is setted into 7 sets per year.

Lilysowner likes this.
  3. afterdark

155 Panel get upset when response to question about driving licence is that it clearly states on application form that no driving licence and that the job specification makes no mention of driving anywhere.

Lilysowner likes this.
  4. afterdark

156 Panel ask about driving licence. Seem confused by response that have 3. Panel ask for explanation then when it is explained say no driving is required.

Lilysowner likes this.
  5. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

156. Not getting a job because the Head's bit on the side got it.

Lilysowner likes this.
  6. afterdark

157 Five consecutive interviews, Each group of interviewees, all experienced bar 1 NQT, NQT gets the job each time.

7. afterdark

158 Told in interview that school can't afford to pay point 6 on pay scale. Even though application form clearly states I am on point 6.

Lilysowner and agathamorse like this.
  8. afterdark

159 Invited for interview at UK school in 3 days hence, whilst working in different country. School decline to pay air fare but are miffed I will not be attending interview.

9. afterdark

160 school post letter inviting for interview second class. Letter arrives day before interview and school refuse to believe it and withdraw offer of interview.

10. afterdark

161 school post letter inviting for interview second class. Letter arrives after interview day.School telephone on day of interview demanding to know why I am not there.

Lilysowner likes this.
  11. afterdark

162 HT implies that there is a handwritten addenum to my glowing typed up reference which is less than complimentary.

12. afterdark

163 Another candidate (Y) tells the rest that he has already been offered the post and this interview is just to keep the LEA happy that the school has done things properly. Candidate Y gets offered the job. Candidate Z engages candidate Y in conversation about driving and is able to correctly identify candidate (Y) 's car. School tells me verbally afterwards that all the candidates are person non grata and will never work at the school after candidate (Y)'s car has all 4 tyres slashed. Despite fact never set foot in the carpark and arrived by bus.
    Wished had put sugar room the staffroom coffee station in his petrol tank whilst Z was slashing his tyres.
    Candidate Y got the job .

scienceteachasghost likes this.
  13. afterdark

164 Apply for internal promotion and other candidate gets job then school expects you to train the other candidate.

14. afterdark

165 apply for internal promotion HT says only interviewed you because he had to and that you will never get any promoted post.

15. afterdark

166 Apply for internal promotion and post is given to female candidate. You are unequivocably told that the female candidate won because of "positive discrimination".

16. afterdark

167 apply for 3 different internal promotions over 5 year period and each time lose to other candidate all 3 different candidates make such a mess of job that post is given to SMT to do and each candidate is asked to leave.

buffa likes this.
  17. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Wow afterdark! Youve had a fair share too. Is the tyre slashing one true?!

18. scienceteachasghost

168 - Intetview delayed by OFSTED/snow day/ floods

19. scienceteachasghost

169 - Artoving 5 minutes early to find the other candidates have already had the process started making you feel late

20. scienceteachasghost

170 - The Severn Bridge being closed due to winds and being late