1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview frustrations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scienceteachasghost, Jul 18, 2019.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

For both teachers, support staff and non teachers, let’s have a vent about interview frustrations! Of course, feel free to vent about candidates if you are the other side (I have been both sides myself.)

1. Late feedback/decision. If you say we will hear tonight then jolly well let us know by tonight and don’t ruin our nights sleep in a state of frustration.

2. Non verbal feedback. Have the guts to call us rather than saying we are unsuccessful by e-mail or text. Please. We may have lost a days work and even pay attending.

3. No feedback. Let us know EITHER WAY. So we can move on.

4. Being told shortlisting has occurred before the closing date with no ‘we may close early.’

5. When trying to get feedback, being made to feel like you’re a piece of dog poo trying to summon the Queen.

6.;The candidate who arrives late getting it over you.

7. The candidate that admits 12 times they nearly ‘didn’t bother coming’ getting it over you.

8. The candidate that is dressed like its dress down Friday who gets it over a wedding suited you.

9. Non local interlopers. Ok ok freedom of movement but what does every prospective NQT called Laura from Manchester rock up in your locality?

10. Internal candidates.

11. Not getting the job AS an internal candidate. #awks at your own job until you leave.

12. Badly designed tasks.

13. Not getting the job when you know one of the interviewers. There goes that friendship.

14. The disinterested candidate that keeps quiet on the school tour, keeps complaining they are tired to the relevant people in school etc. If you’re tired take Redbull,

15. Candidates who are already in the same job who get the job over someone not in a/the same job.

16. Schools that don’t appoint anyone from the field and you know they will have some rubbish agency person who makes a mess? Offer us a temporary contract and let us show you we are worth employing.

17. The local school to which you have a 5 minute commute choosing someone who lives the wrong end of a major city and will be commuting 90 minutes each way.

18. The interview lesson of an hour that gets reduced to 45 minutes because of some special assembly they didn’t tell you about thus throwing your plans.

19. The ‘best in Europe for ICT’ school where your PowerPoint takes 10 minutes to download.

20. Being pulled up for something on your application form and that being the deal breaker. Why invite me to interview at all then?!

I’m sure I can think of many others. Most have happened to me,

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"11. Not getting the job AS an internal candidate. #awks at your own job until you leave."

The worst case of this I came across was the guy on a one-year contract who had to do year 12 parents' evening a couple of hours after being told he hadn't got the permanent post.

3. scienceteachasghost

21. Too many candidates. Turning up for an interview in Kings Lynn to find every science teacher from Grantham to Diss there.

22. Being the sole candidate and not getting it. Feels like you were beaten by yourself.

23. Begs. Candidates who WONT SHUT UP on the tour and get in how many times they have volunteered, their silver in the Olympics and so on.

Lilysowner, agathamorse and Idiomas11 like this.
  4. scienceteachasghost

24. Term time logistics. When you don’t secure a job by the end of term and the education world retreats to the chateaus in a France for the summer, leaving you with snookers only, those usually private schools randomly interviewing in August and the temporary job picking soft fruit maybe extending to the potatoes in Autumn.

25. The demob dichotomy. Trying to get hold of a school on the last day of term to see if you were successful knowing it’s your last hope else 24 and everyone’s in the Hall listening to the retiring Deputies 3 hour leaving speech.

Lilysowner likes this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

26. Not knowing who is important to the process in a school, so you have to sit up and grin like a Cheshire Cat every 5 seconds someone walks through the staff room. After 15 minutes of this, you lose concentration and end up daydreaming looking out the window. Just as the Head of the entire academy chain walks up to you.

27. Interview day being on a day it’s 32.C and the process takes until 6pm but you just can’t take your jacket off as you know sweat patches lurk below........

28. Speaking negatively about something to the wrong person. ‘Science is better than Art because....’ Hello, Im Susanna Bowles, the Deputy Head and Head of Performing Arts.......

29. Realising that the school you got put on capability’s old Deputy Head is now on the interview panel

30. Actually being interviewed by one of your ex students!

6. scienceteachasghost

31. Having to look enthusiastic/awake when you are on interview after a night shift. For the second consecutive day.

Lilysowner likes this.
  7. scienceteachasghost

32. Being invited to more than one interview on the same day.

Lilysowner likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

33. Undisclosed selection criteria, about which you only find out just before the interviews begin.

"Welcome to the Foregone Conclusion Academy. You all seem very well qualified candidates. It would be nice to find a fluent Polish speaker, though. Anyway, on with the interviews. Mr. Skłodowska, we'll take you first."

9. scienceteachasghost

34. Candidates using their mobile or textbooks to get answers in a ‘silent’ written task and being one of the ones shortlisted.

35. Candidates who clearly have a personal life falling apart as they loudly split up with their other half, phone up about their leaking bathroom /car accident during the process.

36. A 20 minute interview in the middle of the working day when they could have interviewed you at 8am or 4pm allowing you to go to work for the rest of it (and implying you are candidate 12 of 26.

37. Any school where you get the impression they will appoint on an aspect that is discriminatory (the Head and her entire SLT are Millennials and so is another candidate, everyone else is a Gen X, guess who gets the job.....)

38. Candidates who are not internal but obviously know people in the school in some capacity

39 Candidates who admit openly this is their 21st interview of the cycle. If they get it over you makes you feel bad, if they admit it in front of the people in the process it’s cringeworthy

40. Candidates who look barely out of sixth form and tell you it’s their FIRST interview and ‘like totes nervous’ and get the job.

41. Schools not offering a drink at break or a process lasting beyond lunch with at least a sandwich

42. Observed buffet lunches where you are being quizzed on the use of data to inform SEN progression by the overkeen 2iC.

43. Not telling your family your contract is coming to an end and finding your sister in laws sisters husband is one of the candidates (yes this one has happened to me!)

44. A good job appearing at a school where a close family member works. To apply and be interviewed informs said family member your job is unsafe/gone.

10. scienceteachasghost

45. Totally left field interview questions ‘If you were a plant, what are you and why’ and you bluster something embarrassing about being a rose with ‘nice flowers but I have thorns’

46. Handshake strength variation. Some of the interview panel have a weaker handshake than milk tea while the Deputy Head nearly broke your hand!

47. Schools with about 8 car parks and you need a degree in logistics to understand how to access the one visitors can use. Will only ever happen when you’re cutting it fine time wise

48. Not being shortlisted after lesson/task and the walk of shame to Reception as one of the rejects.

49. Eight candidates, seven go through to the interview stage but you don’t

50 You are the only one that goes through to the interview stage but you don’t get the job

51 Trying to get 3 days off work in a week for interviews

52 Interview tasks where you get feedback you got a question wrong but the question is subjective and depends on the particular school

53 Getting feedback, acting on it and the next feedback being the polar opposite.

54 Getting the verbal feedback late in the evening when you’ve downed several alcoholic drinks

55 An ex con getting the job over you

56 Not getting the job because you are over qualified/experienced and you know you didn’t get it because someone on the panel thinks you’re after their job

57 Knowing a school chose an apprentice over you

58 Knowing that the amount of eye contact you give the interviewers within a tolerance of plus or minus 2.6% is probably more important to the decision than the fact You are the only one qualified.

59. Non existent jobs agencies advertise to lure you in

60. Agencies where you wouldn’t get a job until a Christmas because of the glacial speed of the CRB system.

61. Feeling like you aced it then not getting the job

62. Your lesson going really badly then they still interview you when you know it’s already game over

63. Telling a joke at interview to try and get the job by the ‘we already know each other’ technique and it meets with stony silence and you know it was too far.

64. Your interview coinciding with a bad cold, you know you don’t look attractive sneezing every few seconds.

65. Buying new shoes for interview. Your feet kill and all you can think about is the pain.

66. Shaving pre interview to find the razor has cut you, it’s a race to ge5 the blood flow to stop before the interview starts.

67. Falling down a muddy slope before interview and finding a public loo to get cleaned up in time

buffa, pepper5 and Jesmond12 like this.
  11. scienceteachasghost

68.;Finding out a job clearly advertised as permanent is only temporary now and you still don’t get it

69. Finding out you will be expected to carry out tasks way outside the job description if successful

70. Negative questioning eg ‘ Tell me about a time something went wrong in a lesson and what you did’, particularly asked twice so the stock example you have has gone

71. The ‘Where do you see yourself in 5 years time’ knowing the expected answer is having the job of one of the panel!

72. Obscure subject knowledge questions you know have been chosen just because the person asking gets a kick out of candidates being on the spot and not knowing them

73. Trying to commit to memory the names of everyone interviewing them forgetting, making asking for feedback harder

74. Asking for feedback on social media to get a curt ‘go through the school’ message.

75. Knowing you might not have got the job because you live slightly further away than another candidate even though it’s not like your home village is full of relevant jobs

76. Candidates who expend too much energy getting there ‘I’ve flown from Australia for this TA role’ No, no and just no!

77. Overreacting to not getting a job in the heat of the moment and telling the person giving feedback you’re straight to your GP for Prozac as a result of your disappointment

78. Bland generic feedback. ‘There was another candidate who better fitted the role.’ Which one, I’m curious! What did they have that I didn’t?

79. Fake sympathy. Being told ‘really sorry you weren’t successful’ when they don’t actually care.

80. Nepotistic appointments. Turns out the candidate is the Heads niece and the interview is a formality

pepper5, littlestrebel and Daveh1981 like this.
  12. Daveh1981

Daveh1981 New commenter

Every single one of these is spot on. Brilliant.

13. scienceteachasghost

81. Getting the ‘WHEN you are here in September’ treatment and then not the job

82. Going to an interview with a ‘handicap’ eg. you’re not in work against candidates that are.

83. ‘Plants,’ the friendly teacher that sits with the candidates during break but they are there deliberately to get gossip to inform the interview process.

84. Getting invited to interview weeks after applying when you gave up on it a long time ago.

85. Over short notice periods eg. Interview tomorrow

86. Over long notice periods eg. More than a week

87. The fact that you have to put the same information in a different format when applying for jobs. Having to list my qualifications for the 715th time

88. Requests for addresses of places you worked that no longer exist.

89. The request for a 5000 word essay on how Piaget has influenced teaching. Yes, I could ace that but you are one of 12 applications I am making and my shift down the fruit farm starts at dawn and it’s June.

90. Observing another candidates lesson which was worse than yours and they get the job (a genuine one!)

91. Gradually exhausting all secondary schools in a 20 mile radius.

92. Not getting the job and finding it readvertised a month later. Should have gone with me, suckers!

93. Being told you are expected to work ‘between sites’ and said sites are some miles apart, you will be expected to drive between the two and will not get mileage allowance unless you get business insurance.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

That happened to me when I was going for my first Headship. The school where I went for an interview sent all the candidates home before lunchtime. I wasn’t best pleased.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Or, turning up for an interview through an agency, only to be told that you have a lesson to cover as "you're supply." I told them I was there to be interviewed for a job, and got told that didn't matter. I told them to politely **** off and walked out.

feeswain, DexterDexter, a1976 and 4 others like this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

94. Being interviewed by the school council, especially a primary one, and trying to crack a joke that they don’t understand.

95. Having a group discussion with the other candidates as part of the interview process and being told that you did not speak enough and then at another one that you spoke too much.

scienceteachasghost and pepper5 like this.
  18. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

From an interviewer's point of view, this was an interesting one. I once observed a lesson and then took part in interviewing the candidate, who said that one of his strengths was creating original resources from scratch and talked at length about the thought process he'd gone through when creating the resources for his interview lesson. Except the resources he'd used had all been made by me and shared on TES a year or so earlier.
    It wasn't the fact that he hadn't used original resources for his lesson that cost him the job, it was the fact that he was dishonest about it!

19. scienceteachasghost

Bitter experience. The majority if not all have happened to me although I have obfuscated some finer details

ViolaClef and pepper5 like this.
  20. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Did you change the location of the Lynn story? I'm struggling to believe that any of the schools in the area could attract science candidates from that wide an area! ;-) Or at least it doesn't bode well for the rest of the schools in the area...