1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for TA role in PRU

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by messylittlemoneky, Jan 9, 2020.

1. messylittlemoneky

messylittlemoneky New commenter

Hello,

I’m a qualified early years teacher and have spent most of my career (since 2003) working as a preschool assistant. I have worked as a class teacher at times, but this is not the main thrust of my experience.

Anyway, I’m studying for a degree in psychology and this has sparked an interest in working with children with mental health and behavioural needs as well as other SEN.

I’ve applied for a TA 2 post in a pupil referral unit and have got an interview in a week or so.

Having never worked as a TA or indeed in a PRU, I have no idea what to expect and wondered if anyone here could advise?

Many thanks

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

It is tough. The children are unpredictable and some can be violent. Prepare yourself to be tough and very patient.
    There's not much more I can say. I think you have to experience it. There is constant alertness needed as anything can happen. Think of your preschools a lot older but with behaviour issues! As a TA vyou will have to brush up on your skills in Maths and English as you will be helping with this.
    Good luck!

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I've never worked in a PRU, but imagine there will be several questions about behaviour scenarios and how you would manage them. This is purely a gut instinct, but I think you would want to talk about getting to know the children you work with very well so that you would be aware of the signs that they were unhappy or edgy; know their possible 'triggers', so that you could defuse a situation (with calm and good humour) before it escalated. When tricky situations do happen, you would follow the school policy.

Have a good look at the school website - it will give you lots of information and a feel for the ethos of the school. You may find policies there which it would be useful to read - behaviour and safeguarding. There will be a question or two about safeguarding; you follow school policy to the letter and ensure you record any incidents in the right way.

Best of luck with the interview - let us know how you get on.

123Vanilla likes this.
  4. messylittlemoneky

Thank you both.

I’m going to think about the behaviour scenarios and thoroughly read their safeguarding and behaviour policies. In terms of the child-centred approach, that’s second nature as a pre school teacher, so I’ll be able to refer to my experience there.
    I’ll certainly let you know how it goes!

5. messylittlemoneky

Just reporting back - I got the job! :)

sunshineneeded likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Congratulations! Competition for jobs is very tough today, so you must have interviewed very well. Celebrate in style tonight and enjoy your new adventure!