1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for TA in primary school

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by nikki1968, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have worked in a secondary school now for 7 years and fancy a change working with primary school age. I have been asked for an interview and told that one of the questions will be to talk about a 5 minute counting to 10 activity with SEN pupils. I am not sure if I need to take in any resources for this or whether it will be a discussion. Also, having worked with yrs 10 and 11 I am not quite sure on how I would do this for a primary school SEN pupil. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks Nikki

2. Are you actually working with a group of children or are you being asked to plan an activity?
    If I was asked to work with a child on a counting activity and I wasn't sure of the ability of the children and what exactly is the objective for the 'counting activity' was I would probably start with a counting rhyme i.e 1,2,3,4,5 Once I caught a fish alive... I would then be able to check whether the children could recite/say the numbers to 10.
    I would then use a number line to 10 or 20 and see if the children can recognise the numbers as I pointed to them. If the children can read them in order I would then point at numbers at random to see if they could read them out of order.
    If the children are able to do that I would move on to counting out objects. Giving the children some counters/buttons etc and ask them to count how many objects there are in their pile to see if they are able to understand the one to one correspondence of numbers to objects. If the children weren't counting objects accurately I would demonstrate how to point at each object and say the number correctly.
    I would increase the number of objects to count out -up to 10 then up to 20 and check whether the children are counting the objects accurately. The children could also record the number of objects on a whiteboard or using a number fan or I might use a number card and ask the children to count out that many objects.
    I would say that you can't really over prepare so I would have a short written lesson plan with the activity and objective. I would also take in a bag of something to count (buttons, counters, pegs, laminated pictures), a number line, some number fans, number cards etc (they are all printable try ****** website. If you don't need anything that's fine but it will mean you have one less thing to worry about.
    I work as a HLTA and participate in TA interviews watching candidates work with small groups. Candidates who have planned and brought in resources are viewed more favourably because they appear well prepared and motivated.
    If you have time have a little look on the website at APP Maths levels for Primary. I work with KS1 SEN children who are currently working at P levels (below level 1) and level 1. The school you are applying to may not be using APP for assessment but if you look at the APP grids it will give you a general sense of the expected progression of primary children through mathematics.

I am by no means an expert but I hope I have been a little help. I hope your interview goes well-Good luck!

3. Thank you very much for your help, I will deinitely take in some resources and once again I appreciate you comments.