1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for Spanish PGCE secondary

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Lupeal, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hola, I have my interview in 2 weeks and I am really really nervous, especially because I need to teach for 5 minutes and I don´t really know what to do. Any ideas or ideas from people that was in the same situation as me will be much much appreciate it!!!! Gracias.

2. Hola, I have my interview in 2 weeks and I am really really nervous, especially because I need to teach for 5 minutes and I don´t really know what to do. Any ideas or ideas from people that was in the same situation as me will be much much appreciate it!!!! Gracias.

3. mpc

mpc

OK, first things first, have you been given a topic?
    TBH, in 5 minutes, you're going to be doing relatively little. If I were a person on the panel, I'd be asking you how you would continue if you had more time.
    You can't be expected to have cracked MFL methodology PRIOR to starting the course so I suspect they've set you this task to see what you're like around people, as much as anything else.
    Think back to your own experiences of MFL. How did your teachers teach you? Teaching and learning these days is all about showing progress. In 5 minutes, personally, I would drill a set of vocabulary items (cognates if I was given the choice) with flashcards or sth similar and play a silly game like 'Guess what's on the flashcard' or 'Repeat it if it's true'.
    Hope this helps a bit,
    mpc
    PS Suerte.

4. I was also nervous in the same situation but I sorted out!
    My advice is: 1) Presentation "Buenos dias, .... Me llamo......Vamos a hablar de......."
    2) If it is possible and you have time to prepare something try to use some resource (white or black board, paper, computer) to show that you know but the most important the conection between the students and you.
    3) I always write the day (in Spanish ) and the topic.
    4) Teach something, try to engage the students with Q&A or drilling or playing and always said "Bien" or "mmm, cerca, cerca". Try to recap at the end.
    5) Erase the board and Thanks your students.
    Good luck!!

nsam0004 likes this.
  5. Thanks for your answer!! I will write literally what it says in my letter:
    The presentation of language (micro-teaching)
    "We ask you to deliver a 5 minute presentation of language, focusing mainly on oral skills. You need to bring your own resources and should not plan to use ICT. You should assume that the group consists of beginners or near beginners in your language so plan to teach simple lanquage using clear visuals or real objects. Choose any topic you prefer however keep in mind that you have 5 minutes for the group to learn and practice what you are teaching.
    You need to plan your presentation, taking account of the language you will use to give instruction, the questions you will ask, how you will give the group enough speaking practice and the activities you will organize"
    I was thinking about explaining the colours, my questions are:
    - Do I speak ALWAYS in Spanish?? Shall I use some english??
    - Shall I print flashcards with the main colours and explain some vocabulary on the board? and then ask the students and then they can ask the person next to them?

It is my first interview to get into the PGCE and I have been waiting for years, so any advice would be appreciate it!!!!
    Any key questions they are going to ask?
    Anything in particular I need to prepare??
    Of course I am reading TES newspaper every Friday and studying my spanish grammar, but I don´t know if that is enough.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I love this forums!!

6. If you have 5 minutes, you will have little time to do anything :(
    Something we use a lot the first day, for reviewing presentation:
    You draw a hand or a 5-pointed star on the board. You put 5 answers of general questions they already know. For example: 1) Londres 2) Mr. Smith 3) 25 4) Muy bien and 5) Soy inglés [for example!]. You ask them what they think the questions are, they will have to guess (in Spanish). So they get 1) Dónde vives?, 2) Cómo te llamas?, 3)Cuántos años tienes?, 4) Cómo estás? and 5) De dónde eres?. During this time, you give them a photocopy with a hand or a star, it should be 2 minutes by now. Now they have to fill it with the details of another student. 2 more minutes, so 4 in total. The first one to finish puts his hand up, says the answers s/he has got and the rest of the class has to say at once the question. 5 minutes. You don't have a second to spare, so you have to go directly into the exercise. Explain in English, make sure they say in Spanish everything they should know by now and correct anything you see it is wrong.

7. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but I'm doing my PGCE at Exeter (secondary MFL- French with Spanish) and they've put a big emphasis on use of the target language this year because apparently it was something Ofsted said they could improve on. Bearing that in mind, I'd use as much Spanish as possible, but if you're assuming your learners are almost complete beginners, you may have to use a bit of English. That's fine as long as you don't do something called code-switching; ie starting a sentence in one language and finishing it in another.
    I'd choose no more than 8 colours and just have a piece of card in each of the colours to use as flashcards. Hold them up, say the colour and get the class to repeat it. Make sure you speak slowly and clearly, and break any longer words down into syllables to help with pronunication. You can vary how quietly or loudly you say the words or use silly voices to make sure they really listen and to hold their attention. Then you can use something called 3-part questioning, where firstly you say 'es rojo, si o no?' and they respond, then you say 'es rojo o azul?' and they answer, and finally you say 'que color es?' and they say 'rojo.' [Sorry about the lack of accents] You could either carry on asking the whole class or ask individuals.
    If possible, get someone to try that out on and time yourself so you can see how long it takes. If you have any time left over at the end, you could maybe ask the students in pairs to take it in turns holding up objects and asking their partner what colour they are, but 5 minutes really isn't that long!
    Suerte!

8. I am really really pleased for all your answers, they are helping me a lot, I only have 10 days for my interview and I really didn´t know what to teach for 5 minutes but now I have a better idea. If you could tell me what sort of stuff they asked you in your interview, that would be fantastic!!!!
    Muchas gracias por todas vuestras respuestas.

9. On the interview day I had to complete an English grammar exam and write an essay in Spanish. I also had an interview in Spanish, where I was asked questions about why I wanted to teach MFL, experiences and when I have used the language. The interview in English focussed on reasons for teaching MFL too, changes in curriculum , reforms in education,etc - so if you are clued up on that, you should be fine. One of the things that I think most candidates found hard in the interview was explaining grammar. I'm not sure that every university does that.
    que tengas suerte!

10. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
    I got a place for September!!!!

11. mina1308

mina1308 New commenter

Just a question! so what did you do in your 5 mn presentation?[​IMG]

12. what did you do????

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'd drill about 8-10 words using flashcards. Have an equal number of masculine and feminine nouns ona specific topic.
    Then issue the pupils (interviewers) a pack of playing cards using the same pictures as on the flascards and give them a set of cards witht he Spanish printed on them. Tell them in Spanish to pair up the picture and word. When they have finished, tell them to read out the words.
    If they pair something up wrongly, enlist the support of another 'pupil' and ask them "es correcto?"
    As 5 minutes is not a lot of time, have the playing cards ready,face down on the table in front of each pupil. If they try to look at them, wag your finger and say "No, no, no! En dos o tres minutos, por favor!"

I did all that on one of my PGCE interviews and was told it was the best interview mini-lesson they'd evr had.
    Be prepared for them filming the lesson.