1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for SEN post

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by gavinapv, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Howdy
    I have an observed lesson to teach a Maths or English
    class to a year 8 group. Abilities range from p8 right through to level
    4. Can anyone please give some advice on how to manage differentiation
    for such a broad range?
    I have not been given individual levels so cannot target resources at particular students.
    Just completed PGCE, so this is going to be a real challenge for me
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. If you are applying and interviewing for a SEN post I would at least expect you to have ideas on how to differentiate!

3. I was hoping for advice from those people who have worked in special ed',
    Coming from a PGCE in secondary, streamed classes don't have such broad spectrums.
    ordinarily I would start everyone off on the same task, but not sure if I would lose the upper ability students straight away by giving them something far too low. As I haven't been given individual profiles I don't know how many are working to each level
    Would it be more approproate to role out a full range of activities from the start?

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Pitch to the middle-upper levels,You need to have alternative approaches for pupils who don't engage immediately with the activity- lots of visual and practical options, short starters etc.. Extension work up and down should always be built in and identified on the lesson plan to help show the directions and context of the one off lesson. You should also cater for any particular issues such as physical disabilities that have been identified for you in the class.What works when planning is to work on interlinking threads of the lesson coming from different starting points(like a mind map) that way you identify the core activities which the majority would complete.