1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for secondary teaching with no experience

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by djaye14, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi :)
    I'm doing Primary but thought I might be able to help you!
    I have experience but have been for an interview already. I don't think having any experience will go against you as such, but you may get asked questions like, 'Tell us of a time...' and scenario questions where they'll want you to talk about your experiences. When I went for my interview they asked me a lot of these questions.
    How far away is your interview? Maybe you could get some experience beforehand?
    Sometimes even just a day in a school will really help, and will make you feel more at ease when attending an interview!
    Good luck!

2. Cheers

I got the email yesterday sating they would like to interview me for the course and the interview is next Friday so there's not really enough time for that.

I'm trying to convince myself they must have been happy with my original application to give me the interview in the first place

3. Although having experience is a prerequisite for many courses, if having school experience was a definite deciding factor in terms of this institution offering you a place you wouldn't have been invited to interview as it would be a waste of their time if they were going to reject you on this alone. So try not to worry about it and just concentrate on demonstrating the skills and experience you do have. Best of luck.