1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview for secondary hlta. running literacy intervention

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by moshi25, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hellooo
    I'm new to forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Anyway ive got an interview for the above role. As part of this I have been asked to prepare a literacy/phonics intervention session for three year 7's with reading ages between 6.5 and 10.
    I have a few ideas, however my main "specialsm" has always been with maths and PSHCE.
    Any help ,much apprecaited.

2. Hellooo
    I'm new to forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Anyway ive got an interview for the above role. As part of this I have been asked to prepare a literacy/phonics intervention session for three year 7's with reading ages between 6.5 and 10.
    I have a few ideas, however my main "specialsm" has always been with maths and PSHCE.
    Any help ,much apprecaited.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

look at Read Write Inc by Ruth Miskin- Good Luck!

4. I would look at alternate spellings. Use one of the phoneme spotter stories in Letters and Sounds,
    You could use page 32 of the Letters and Sounds phase 5 http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=716966&ResourceID=3372552
    Look at the common way of writing ee then children to listen for the ee sound as you read the text. If they hear it then they have to touch their heads, noses, hand in the air or something more appropriate for secondary kids.
    Then get the small copy for the children to have one each. They then have to read the text and underline all the ee sounds. You may need to support the 6.5 reading age child. When they have underlined all the ee sounds get back together and make a list of all the words sorting them into columns eg /e/ e_e/ea/ee and look at all the different ways of spelling. Which ones are most popular? Which is the least common etc.

5. thank you very much.

6. I think that there is going to be a huge difference between the child with RA 6.5 and the one with RA 10 (which is practically 'normal' for Y7s in our school...[​IMG]) so be prepared with some extension work for the RA 10 child.

7. yep i agree!! I was thinking of a stop the bus style game, using spelling patterns , im so stressed ,

8. I really think you need to find the gaps before starting. I think spelling is a good one because the 10RA pupil may be an ok reader but doesn't mean he/she can spell.
    You really need to show a clear learning objective.
    Can you explain your activity to us and we might be able to help from that.

9. using various spelling patterns, oo ee e-e, u-e etc etc.....talkng about these in intro then using categories, place, food, football team etc.......recording them, ringing a bell when complete x

10. yipeeeeee out of 100 plus applicants i got the job thanks for everyones ideas xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx