1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for PGDE Primary

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Coogee, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I have my interview soon for primary teaching and wanted to ask what you feel the current issues are in education?

2. I have my interview soon for primary teaching and wanted to ask what you feel the current issues are in education?

3. No jobs, unless you are an NQT.

4. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

You could also add to that the numbers of teachers leaving the profession or country. That could be very damaging especially as training places are now in limited numbers.

A future shortage on the cards, perhaps?
    :)

5. Sorry, Coogee, didn't mean to be so negative. I have been in this job too long and am annoyed and frustrated by the attacks being made on the profession.
    Obviously, CfE would be the priority - good and bad. The new ASL legislation, attainment, multi-disciplinary working, ICT . . . can't think of anymore . . . too late in the evening for me.
    However, Red is right. The number of training places are very limited and that is a good thing. There are just not the jobs available and its wrong for the SG and the universities to keep churning probationers out when they haven't got a chance in hell of long-term job prospects.
    P.S Red, I'm sure I read that you were going to work abroad. How is it going? We are thinking about it now, given the situation re supply and all the other horrible things that are being brought in.

6. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Coogee, Just thought of something else that was my bugbear for the last couple of years I taught in the UK - retired teachers being used as supply teachers (especially in my probation school). This is a sustainable way forward and provides very little opportunities for NQT staff to gain that all important and lucrative experience.

Velma - teaching abroad is quite possibly the best move I have made. Like I said above, I am thinking I will be teaching overseas for the next 3-4 years. I am in a privately run primary school teaching the (wealthy) local Emirati population. I am pretty low paid by overseas standards but it is a far cry from what I would have been earning back home on a day here and there supply. Being here has become more than just making financial sense - I have been able to (and still am) learn about a different culture and traditions and that is something money can't buy. I have also met lots of expats from all over the world and am due to fly to Sri Lanka this week for a holiday and Jordan in April. Again, things I would never have been able to do if still at home.
    I do miss home, my boyfriend, friends and family but it is a sacrafice I am willing to continue to make and, hopefully, will pay off in the long term. Skype is brilliant btw!

7. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Sorry - this is NOT a sustainable way forward...

8. Red
    Totally agree with you wrt retired teachers. Last year, Dundee were slated for using 45 out of 46 retired teachers on their supply list and for using them regularly.
    I am really glad that working abroad has worked for you. It sounds great. My only worry is that we would go for 3-4 years but when we come back, the situation wouldn't have improved and hubbie and I can't get a job.
    Its a dilemma. . . although I'm quite sure that my son would really benefit from the experience and he would love UAE. We had a really great holiday there and would love to go back.

Velma

9. Hello
    Thank you so much for getting for back to me and please don't apologise for how you feel, it is a stressful time for teachers at the moment. I am still new to all this so can you tell me anything about the issues with ICT and attainment?
    Thanks