1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for Nursery - Language focus

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Kizzz, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Kizzz

Kizzz New commenter

Hi there,

I have an interview for nursery with a 10 minute task focusing on developing language skills. I was thinking of using the book 'Oi Frog' which focuses on rhymes but worried about what children's abilities are in nursery.
    I am aware that it is early on in the year and so some children will be very young and will have just turned 3. I've had a look on Development Matters but just a bit lost. Out of my comfort zone and think I should just play it safe as the topic is so vague but I'm finding it hard to think of an idea. I'd really appreciate any input from nursery teachers!

Thank you!

2. ella68

ella68 New commenter

Hello, Firstly ...good luck. Nursery is wonderful. Begin with knowing exactly what you are wanting to develop in the children .. Language focus.. so, listening and attention. Grab their attention .think about bringing a little bag of a few small props. Praise for looking with eyes, listening with ears . Remember you are teaching from the basics. These children are young.
    Speech... articulation, children's awareness of own speech and voice, use of mouth to make sounds... can they make click clack sound.. demo.. praise.. tick tock sound, .could lead on to this being the sound of a clock . Little mouse, Hickory Dickory dock. Nursery Rhymes are great. The children will love joining in, which is what you want. Try to link each step of your ten minutes, but know what you are wanting to develop. Think of the tongue moving up and down and cheek muscles working when making tick tock sounds.. you could even mention this to the children .. get them to stick their tongue out, move it up, down and all around etc.... just think basics and have fun. .... On the other hand Oi frog is a great story!