1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for NQT post. What makes a good lesson?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I have got an interview this week which would enable me to start my NQT (yay) - if I get it!! I haven't been in a classroom since May/June when I finished my PGCE (bar 1 day of supply before xmas) so I feel a bit out of the loop.
    I really want this job and this will be my 4th interview so I want to try and nail it this time. I suppose I am looking for some tips of what makes a good interview lesson???
    So far I have:
    - Give students the learning objectives and refer back to them at the end of the lesson,
    - Keep on top of behaviour
    - Use a 'settling' activity and include a starter/plenary
    - Make the lesson fun/engaging
    - It is going to be a pracitcal lesson so need to reinforce H&S and leave time to pack up etc
    - AFL: Interact with students eg questions
    What about a reward system? I know the school uses a points system so don't think I would be able to award points! The school is also healthy eating, like most schools so would sweets/choc be acceptable?? Also is this considered bribary?
    Any other tips anyone can think of? I have taught in this school before and I have got year 9 (all boys) and I found it difficult to keep them engaged as all they want to do it blow things up! I am still trying to plan the lesson so any tips/advice welcome!
    Thanks.....A very nervous CrazyChemist [​IMG] (As you can tell from my ramblings...)

2. I have got an interview this week which would enable me to start my NQT (yay) - if I get it!! I haven't been in a classroom since May/June when I finished my PGCE (bar 1 day of supply before xmas) so I feel a bit out of the loop.
    I really want this job and this will be my 4th interview so I want to try and nail it this time. I suppose I am looking for some tips of what makes a good interview lesson???
    So far I have:
    - Give students the learning objectives and refer back to them at the end of the lesson,
    - Keep on top of behaviour
    - Use a 'settling' activity and include a starter/plenary
    - Make the lesson fun/engaging
    - It is going to be a pracitcal lesson so need to reinforce H&S and leave time to pack up etc
    - AFL: Interact with students eg questions
    What about a reward system? I know the school uses a points system so don't think I would be able to award points! The school is also healthy eating, like most schools so would sweets/choc be acceptable?? Also is this considered bribary?
    Any other tips anyone can think of? I have taught in this school before and I have got year 9 (all boys) and I found it difficult to keep them engaged as all they want to do it blow things up! I am still trying to plan the lesson so any tips/advice welcome!
    Thanks.....A very nervous CrazyChemist [​IMG] (As you can tell from my ramblings...)

3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Have you asked the school for a copy of their behaviour policy so you can make sure that your micro lesson reflects the policies and ethos of the school such as kids might be required to stand, it will also tell you their reward system they have it use it.

4. Stickers are always good as a reward.. i also got told to always leave them with a resource that they can keep. something to remember you buy x

5. Don't forget differentiation, make sure you have something for everyone in your lesson plan even if you don't use it.
    I've also used ICT when doing a practical interview lesson, eg: getting them to put all their data on an excel on my laptop so you can then compare the class results. You can also set it up to draw a graph of the results for you as the data is being inputted.

Good Luck!!!!

6. Don't give sweets away as a bribe because it won't show verygoodbehaviour management skills, also as a school that is big on eating they may not sell confectionery etc at all, or until a certain time. (Like the one I work at.)
    Keep the lesson in short bursts, don't have them doing the same task for too long, move the lesson along at a good pace, if you can see them misbehaivng etc it should signify to you the next step to take i.e.
    For good time management have an online stopwatch so students can see how long they have left on a specific task.
    If the school have given you a topic, make sure you include aspects of it in your lesson plan.
    Make expectations of behaviour and health and safety instructions clear from the beginning of the lesson, then children know what you expect of them and what is unacceptable behaviour.I haev removed pupils from interview lessons before for misbehaving etc, don't leave them outside too long though. This didn't go against mein the interview with governors and heads of dept.
    If you run out of time (which I hope you don't!) to do the plenary you can always do one at the door, as pupils leave, 'tell me one thing you learned today that you didn't know before.'

Hope this helps!

7. make sure that you cater for the visual, auditory and kinaesthetic learners if possible, time permitting, e.g. visual - powerpoint, film clip, auditory - discussion, sound clip, kinaesthetic - something to get the kids out of their seats, perhaps during the starter or plenary. Try and set short tasks to be completed independently, and short tasks to be completed in pairs or small groups time permitting. You must show how you are using differentiation in your lesson plan and in the lesson, even if you differentiate by outcome. You can do this by simply saying to the class what your expectations are "I expect all of you to.. most of you to... some of you to..." And you must have some AFL strategies in there, a quick peer assessment exercise should do the trick! Try and relax and enjoy it too, if you prepare well you will feel confident and it will go well, good luck!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You mention giving the learning objectives and referring back at the end - but the whole point of the LO is that your lesson must be designed to meet them. Focus initially on designing LO that you can teach a class to meet in 20 minutes and then gear any activities towards this. Your assessment method must be geared towards shoing that the group has met the learning objective.
    By the way - 'visual, auditory and kinaesthetic' is probably the most discredited notion in British education these days.

9. Thanks for all the comments, they are very useful and I have taken them on board.
    I will make sure I include stuff regarding differentiation - I like the idea about telling the children what I expect all/most/some to be able to do, thats a great idea.
    I have planned to use ICT in the lesson but cannot use it for data handling as the practical doesnt produce numerical results. With regards to VAK - i think I have got this covered ie giving them a written copy of the instructions and talking through it and providing a demo.
    Yes I thought sweets might be considered bribary which is why I wasn't so sure. I won't bother with that idea then. I just wanted some kind of reward which might help keep them on track incase they get a bit restless. I know what the schools behaviour policy is so I will follow it, but I won't be able to make use of the reward policy because its a points system which I won't be able to access.
    Sorry if I have forgot to mention anyones advice - my memory isnt too good!

10. Interestingly, we had to gear our lesson plans to meet those requirements at Jordanhill - and that was only last year.... What does that say about ITE?

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It says what eveyone in most schools has known for years - they're donkeys' years behind the times in training institutions. VAK is nothing more than a con trick. Whilst I applaud anyone wanting to use interesting and stimulating activities, resources, etc there should not be an orthodoxy that you must use all three. Anyone can learn using any type of resource or activity if it's a good one.