1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview for long term supply role for English

Discussion in 'English' started by sebedina, Jul 13, 2015.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I am going for an interview for a long term supply teaching role very soon (this week).

In your experience, what are the main things that I need to show in an observation?

I am clearly doing something wrong as usually I don't get the jobs. It is deeply depressing.

The last comment was "nice lesson, I really liked your resources" but i didn't get the job. It was really demoralising.

I generally get very good references when I am already working in a school but in the interview/observation process I seem to develop a set of "horns" and scare off the job prospect.

Any advice? I am well dressed and present myself well. I try to be friendly but somehow it goes "pear shaped" in that 30 minute observation.

Any advice would be great!

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Hard to say.

If you are given a topic, make sure that you stick to the letter of it and ensure it's age/ability appropriate.

Show differentiation.

Engage pupils - get feedback from them.

Be friendly but firm.

Demonstrate excellent subject knowledge.

If you meet the rest of the department, be friendly but show that you know what you're doing.

I have just got a long term supply today and I also got my last one and I think that's what I did.

Oh - I also do 'a bit eccentric' but I'm old enough to get away with it.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

How do the students generally react to you? When I interviewed in the UK, the kids were asked for input and I imagine it's not all that uncommon. You don't mention them at all in your self-evaluation so I wonder if you are focusing so much on your resources and plan that you maybe forget to connect with them. I know it's difficult in such a short time frame, and maybe you already do address it, but worth reflecting on perhaps?

I wish you all the best of luck and don't give up hope - it's just tough at the moment. You'll get there!