1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for HOD Science

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would imagine as HoD, you might be asked to 'put together' a supply lesson for a sick colleague as part of the remit, so seeing how well you could put something together at short notice would be good practice.
    Might also demonstrate how familiar you are with the criteria at each stage/phase. Or maybe, it's just it's revision time and they don't want to 'waste' any time and don't themselves yet know where the 'gaps' are.

2. Thanks for quick reply
    I had thought it was a test of "planning" skills maybe looking at generic strategies that can be pulled out of the bag for AfL, questioning etc

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes indeed - planning and delivery too, of course.
    I would add differentiation to that list, and in particular for a Head of Science, H&S. Even though you won't do a practical, I would, somewhere in what you do do, discuss briefly some H&S aspect of an experiment that could be done.
    I doubt that it's anything to do with getting you to fill a gap in a revision schedule - if they were concerned about revision for examination classes, they wouldn't trust it to the unknowns of job applicants - you might be rubbish teachers!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.