1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for Abu Dhabi - urgent help required!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 6mcgonigle, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hi, don't mind you asking at all. No, it was a recruitment agency that found my CV online and as far as I'm aware, they seem to 'scout' people for schools and colleges in Abu Dhabi.
    I know what you mean about the waithing though, apparently it is a very long process when applying overseas.
    Wishing you luck!

2. I have been told that the interviews tend to be much less formal, almost verging on a chat, but sometimes they are the most difficult. I am also told that they are very interested in extra curricular activities, looking for a 'muck in' attitude. Do you mind me asking what the name of the recruiting agency was, drop me a pm if you prefer. I have a interview this week end also, good luck.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The first thing that comes to my mind is scam.
    I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they started offeriing a bespoke service where your C.V. will be exclusively presented to selected elite schools in the area for a small fee.

4. That thought had also entered my mind but when I looked them up online, they seem genuine enough and the email she sent me seemed to have plenty of information about the package side of things. I mean, the interview/information session is in the Hilton, Manchester - scammers wouldn't operate like tht would they??

5. Karvol

That is exactly how they would operate.
    It may very well be a legitimate company that makes its money by charging fees for recommending prospective clients for jobs.
    Look at the ads themselves. Most of them are only open to Western nationalities. That should tell you enough about them.

6. If you wouldn't mind, could you have a look at their website - phoenixgulf.net - and tell me what you think? Worried now that I could be walking into a trap which would be extremely disappointing as I was beginning to relish the opportunity.

7. Karvol

I am not saying that it is a trap - only go there with your eyes open and be aware.
    This sort of "marketing" ploy is quite common in Abu Dhabi ( or at least was when I lived there ).
    The usual modus operandi is the booking of a 5 star hotel, almost exclusively Western ( read white ) invitees and a hard sell.

8. It looks dodgy to me, no address in Abu Dhabi given, just a P.O. box number. Also lots of spelling mistakes like 'managment'. Advertises lots of jobs, but no actual names of schools or companies given. Doesn't have any testimonies from any companies it works with. I could be wrong, but I can't see schools using this company.

9. The biggest thing that concerned me was the fact that they found my CV online and got in touch with me that way. Maybe I would be saving myself any risk by just applying for international jobs the old-fashioned way and do the contacting myself as opposed to vice-versa...? It just frustrates me to think that this could all be a huge waste of my time!
    Confused, Northern Ireland.

10. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Have PM'd you.

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, I remember a colleague from my days in the UAE who often received unsolicited job offers via e-mail. Sometimes the principals of schools in Peru or Angola or Kazakhstan would ring him up at all hours of the day and night and offer him excellent salaries, superior accommodation, attractive young ladies, etc., etc. However, he was a Chemistry teacher and I just teach primary.

12. I have had the exact same invitation.
    Text came christmas day. Then they emailed me. Interview was set for today but I postponed it and now they are offering Saturday morning. I rang the rep and she told me (clearly in a hotel room) that there are lots of jobs and I should speak to the panel on the day.
    Lots of spelling mistakes/ incorrect name reference used.....I am wandering wether to bother now myself?

13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I'd give it a miss.
    If you want to use an agency, go with one of the large and established ones, namely Search or ISS. Have I forgotten any?
    This one sounds like a scam. I would suspect there will be fees to be paid, followed by few actual jobs on offer, and you'll find that the company might well not actually be in a position to offer you a job. They might just give you the names of schools that have openings - which they can find on-line as easily as you can. Or they might be representing schools that you'd never want to work in, tier 4.
    I've known more than one company that promised the world but in the end just passed on a list of schools with openings - sometimes openings photocopied straight from the ISS newsletter and already several months out of date.