1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview for a year 5 class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Mar 31, 2011.

1. inq

inq

The advice will tend to be "give us your basic ideas and we'll help tweak them" as schools want to see what you can do not us.
    People tend to be very helpful once you put down some initial ideas.

2. cshanks

cshanks New commenter

I was thinking of doing a drama or a speaking and listening activity because of the time restraints.Alot of the children have EAL and they have send me the childrens writing levels and the averageis about a 3b.
    still thinking through my ideas at the moment as only got the letter an hour ago. will post later.

3. I had an interview last summer for my current post (year 4) and had to do a 30 minute lesson.

I had heard not to do any writing based activities in an interview so I based it on drama.

I began by inviting the children in to the room- there was a suitcase covered with a cloth. I began by discussing what could be under it.

I wrote a letter from a time travelling professor who had collected some items from history but he had to return them urgently or history would change. We then opened the suitcase and began to look at some of the objects. Children had to discuss what/where the objects were and how they may have been used.

Then I put them into mixed ability groups and asked them to create 3 freeze frames using the items. The other children watched and had to guess what time period/place in history it was and we used 2 stars and a wish.

The children and the head loved it! plus it got me the job!

Good luck x

4. cshanks

cshanks New commenter

Thanks thats really helpful glad I was thinking in the right lines with doing a drama activity.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Love the idea lucyhayhurst! But don't recommend too many people just 'pinch' the idea -you never know two of you could potentially end up on the same interview!
    Make sure you have a clear learning objective & some idea how to assess progress.
    Best of luck!

6. I've just done sonnets with my Year 5 class. We looked at what this type of poem is and then as a group they had to write their own and then share with the class.
    Today we did performance poetry - gave each group a poem to work on and by the end of the lesson they had to perofrm to the class.
    Do you know what topics they have covered so far this year? maybe ask the school for a curriculum map and that might help