1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for a religious school - do I tell them I'm not religious?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Tink321, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Tink321

Tink321 New commenter

This is for an admin job, not teaching. I know to say that i can support the ethos of the school and so on but do I preface it by saying "I'm not religious, but..." or say "I prefer to keep my personal faith private, but..." ? The former might stop me from getting the job but the latter might sound suspicious or defensive...

2. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Personally I would just say (something along the lines of) 'I am able to uphold an support the ethos of the school'

No more should be needed unless specifically asked

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

unless they ask, I wouldn't volunteer- for teaching jobs it's on the application form, was it not when you applied?

As long as you can uphold the ethos there shouldn't be an issue, good luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't worry!

I should think that they are very unlikely to ask you anything at all about religion for an admin post. But if they do, just saying that you would expect to uphold the ethos of the school and good moral values should do it!

Best wishes

5. Tink321

Tink321 New commenter

Thanks everyone! No, there was no mention of it on the application form. I'll do what you all suggest - thank you!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter