1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for a good school

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mogmooch, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi, this is my first post, and I would be thrilled if anyone could contribute. I have managed to get an interview at a big international school and will be flown there on Monday. I know that there are also 4 other candidates attending on the same day-which is always a tad awkward to say the least. I have been asked to teach year 6 for 30 minutes and also to prepare a presentation for 10 minutes about meeting the needs of children in my classroom in terms of ability, nationality and language.
    Could any kind teachers suggest a 'showstopper' lesson? I don't think I should do much writing in 30 minutes, but could possibly have some children come to the board or work on whiteboards or large sheets. My preferences are towards literacy and art, but I would consider other subjects if I know the children will learn something and enjoy the lesson-as well as impressing the SMT. In the past I have secured employment by doing a lesson on performance poetry, I have no shame so really if it's an ott suggestion I won't be afraid to try it. Any suggestions for the presentation would also be more than welcome.
    Thanks for your help
    M

2. 576

576 Occasional commenter

It is YOUR interview. They want to see YOUR ideas and how YOU teach.
    Interview lessons should reflect the best of your normal practice - not someone else's.
    Also - hypothetical situation.
    Let's imagine someone posts a reply with a real 'showstopper' lesson. You read it, teach it on interview and it really is a great lesson but.....
    a) one of the other candidates also read this thread and taught the SAME lesson
    or
    b) one of the interview panel was perusing this forum on Sunday night, read your request, read the suggested 'showstopper' lesson and then watched you teach it on Monday!
    Just something to think about.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Obviously this is the case if you're asking the questions:
    Partly depends where in the world this school is; if they are flying you all out I expect it will be in Europe. Few schools would fly out teacher candidates for interview outside of Europe unless they had bags of money to waste.
    Presuming it is Europe: Go for a few magic tricks, cutting a kid in half for example, followed by some mind reading. That always impresses me.
    If in the ME, they like things taught in a certain way. I'd go for either a modern RE lesson, perhaps something along the lines of Judaism and its value and importance modern world history, or an English lesson; perhaps based on Babe, the talking pig.
    If in Africa, a history lesson perhaps: Something on the Victorian era and British Empire in the 19th century would go down well.
    Asia is more difficult, as it is such a mixed bag. Nevertheless, rote learning is big in many school in Asia, so either some notation - with the kids writing what you say verbatim for 30 minutes - or simply get the kids to copy out a few pages from a text book.
    Hope this is helpful. [​IMG]