1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview for 2nd in Department

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by GemmaBKent, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi,

I've an interview next week for a 2nd in dept role. The job description isn't terribly clear about what they are expecting. I'd welcome some advice from current HoD about what you expect from your 2nd in dept. What tasks/roles you'd expect them to undertake, what qualities you are looking for, etc.

The situation is slightly complicated in that I'm still 'only' an NQT, having come into teaching after a career elsewhere. So I don't have a lot of teaching experience/published results etc. to prove myself with.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi,

I've an interview next week for a 2nd in dept role. The job description isn't terribly clear about what they are expecting. I'd welcome some advice from current HoD about what you expect from your 2nd in dept. What tasks/roles you'd expect them to undertake, what qualities you are looking for, etc.

The situation is slightly complicated in that I'm still 'only' an NQT, having come into teaching after a career elsewhere. So I don't have a lot of teaching experience/published results etc. to prove myself with.

Thanks in advance.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'd be careful about what I'm signing up to. If they're not clear about what they want you to do, would you really want to work for them? I'd ask them to clarify, not us - there's about a million different ways of "using" second in departments: they might be in charge of KS3, or KS4, they might deal with behaviour, or data, or exams, or work scrutiny, it's just impossible to know what a school would want of you ... unless you ask them! [​IMG]
    And don't ever think that you are underqualified and not ready: if they have asked you for interview it means that on paper you are good enough, so don't apologise for your lack of experience! One of the best HOY I ever worked with got her job at the end of her NQT year and had just turned 21 (and she was given the Y9s!)

4. Thanks for replying. Don't worry, I have every intention of asking what responsibilities are expected of the 2nd! I think it's open to negotiation depending on the person they appoint so it's deliberately been left vague.

I recognise that, on paper at least, I am good enough. I guess I'm just feeling a little bit out of my depth so any tips would be very helpful!!!