1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback Confusion

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jsykes91, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jsykes91

jsykes91 New commenter

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me or identify with something that happened to me in an interview today.

I am a qualified Drama and Performing Arts teacher who is still looking for a permanent job in a secondary school and today I had an interview. The day went really well and the process was great however, my feedback was very odd.

I was told that decided to advertise the role again and nobody had got the job (4 of us had interviews). However, they said I was very close to getting the position but they weren't 100% sure my teaching style would fit in with the department. I was told all the following areas were brilliant;

Interview
    Student interview
    Cover Letter
    Students engaged with me and enjoyed my lesson...

However, they felt that I maybe scared the young boys in the class by making them shimmy and dance during in a warm up? They had asked me to combine both Drama and Dance and the lesson had to be based on Carnival...therefore I taught some Samba steps as a whole class warm up.

The main area they questioned was my teaching style, they said I am very strong willed and can come on too strong and this is something I need to consider whilst at interviews. Then they asked me to reapply for the position...this is what confused me.

Has anyone ever been told to reapply for a job or had their teaching style questioned? The students were fully engaged in my lesson and every other aspect of the day went really well, I'm not sure if I can adapt my strong personality just to recieve a permanent job, do I sacrifice not being myself and trying to act as someone else?

Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have been to interview where no-one was appointed and it is difficult coping with the disappointment. Being beaten by someone they believed was a better fit I thought would have been easier.

Now normally I recommend taking any feedback with a huge pinch of salt, however in this instance you have beeb given some valuable feedback and been invited to reapply. So take on board their recommendations and if you're invited for interview again, show them how you have listened and can adapt your teaching.

If you don't think you can do that, this is probably not the right school for you. yes Schools are very different and another could be a better fit and this experience mah help you to succeed in a school which will do so.
    Best of luck with future applications.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Lara mfl 05 has said exactly what I was going to say.

They would like you to re-apply, they are giving you a chance to show that you can conform to their requirements, so if you want a job (and any sort of job in Drama, yet alone a permanent one, is fairly thin on the ground), then you have a good chance here.

The decision now is yours . . .

Best wishes