1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview feedback and it's subtext

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by yellow van, May 30, 2012.

1. Had an interview yesterday at a lovely school. Had good feedback on my lesson, and how I tailored application, answers and lesson to the needs of the school etc. However, I didn't get it because other candidates had 'better feedback' from staff and children. This translates as 'they didn't like you' doesnt it???? I'm gutted that i failed not because of my skills (ie, something I can remedy) but because of who i am (and i'm stuck with that :( ).
    What feedback has pierced you when the subtext actually sinks in??

2. I'd like some feedback in general. I've been teaching for 7 years and cannot get an interview for a MPS job anywhere. Time is running out and |I may have to leave the profession. Does anyone have any tips for people not getting an interview at all. I have changed my letter and application form on a number of occations, but with no joy. Supply could be the only viable option.
    Any help would be greatfully recieved.

3. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

I'm like you, managed to get the interviews tho, make sure you go and visit the school and make notes in the car of info you obtained, other candudates will ask questions that will lead the head to giving important info eg maths improvement, special needs, then use these as headings in you letter, why am i right for this role, love for maths, i understand or you mentioned on the walkround...
    good luck, hope it helps
    my opinion is most of the jobs are earmarked, sorry but it is, not all but most

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rubbish!
    *Sorry*
    I know that you are just feeling a tad bitter, but really although that may be your opinion, you cannot possibly know that!
    Why would a school bother spending time and money on advertising and visits and interviewing?
    Why would a school appoint a second-best person if you are there and can prove that you are outstanding, absolutely spectacular?
    If you had shown them that, then you would have a pretty good chance of being appointed . . .
    To get back to the O.P.about the feedback and its subtext: No, it doesn't mean that they didn't like you, it just means that they clicked with that person.
    It happens - you meet someone and just click with them. You cannot explain it, it just happens.
    Take heart from the positive feedback that you got.
    Best wishes.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You <u>are</u> 'stuck with your own personality', but, just because you didn't 'click' with that particularschool/staff/pupils <u>does not</u> mean your personality won't click with a different one!
    Keep on going.!
    Almost forgot pop along to our
    <h3>Flowers . . .</h3>thread to find something to cheer you up.