1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview - EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Luckydip, May 13, 2020.

1. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

Hi
    I have an interview next Friday. I was wondering if anyone can give me some interview questions that could be asked for a Nursery Teacher post. I haven't had an interview in 10 years.

Thank you

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Questions about challenge and extending children to exceed and how you will do it.
    Questions about bridging gaps - maybe something about gender gaps is sometimes popular.
    What constitutes as an engaging environment.

I'm trying to think back to the limited questioning subject matter that a UK school provides.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Things to do with how you manage behaviour.
    How you manage other adults in the classroom.
    Things to do with safeguarding.
    How you respond when people say 'children just play in nursery'.

That kind of thing.

It is possible that no one on the panel has the faintest clue about EYFS, but will think they do. So be prepared for some nonsense questions about assessment and progress.

Best of luck.

4. neverstopdreaming

neverstopdreaming New commenter

I’ve only ever worked in EY and I’ve only ever interviewed for EY posts. Different types of questions I’ve had include:

A safeguarding question - always had one of these.
    Working with other adults - how would you deploy them or how well you work in a team.
    Behaviour - how I would deal with behaviour in a certain situation or an example of how I’ve dealt with it in the past.
    EYFS specific questions - which areas of the EYFS are most important to me and why, what is important in an effective EYFS classroom or what makes a good EYFS teacher.
    Questions about career - where do I want to be in five years or examples of CPD I’ve done.

I found thinking of scenario and examples for each different type of question beforehand helped and it seems to have worked for me so far. Theogriff’s advice on here is great!

I just got a new job and found it really helpful to find out lots of information about the school. I spoke to the head on the phone and she told me about how they plan and how she wants to improve the provision - it was all the things I’m interested in and really fitted my ethos. It helped me talk about why I wanted to work at that school.

Hope that helps. Good luck! I love Nursery and think it’s a fantastic place to work.

TeacherMan19 likes this.