1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview experience for PGCE Maths with the OU or others

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by North-Star, Dec 11, 2011.

1. North-Star

North-Star New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am soon applying to the Open University, to do a PGCE in Maths for secondary schools.

The OU seem to be very helpful about giving any ideas on what to prepare for the interview day:

1) Has anyone had an interview for PGCE Maths with the OU or another university?
    2) How was the day? were you successful?
    3) How is it like to study with the OU? (if you are an OU student)

I have a degree in Civil Engineering (20 years ago), I was a geek in maths :) , and still remember most of it, I have also been looking at KS3 and KS4 books, seem OK at 90% at least, I haven't been looking at 6th form stuff yet, but I will consult it over Christmas before the interview.

2. North-Star

North-Star New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am soon applying to the Open University, to do a PGCE in Maths for secondary schools.

The OU seem to be very helpful about giving any ideas on what to prepare for the interview day:

1) Has anyone had an interview for PGCE Maths with the OU or another university?
    2) How was the day? were you successful?
    3) How is it like to study with the OU? (if you are an OU student)

I have a degree in Civil Engineering (20 years ago), I was a geek in maths :) , and still remember most of it, I have also been looking at KS3 and KS4 books, seem OK at 90% at least, I haven't been looking at 6th form stuff yet, but I will consult it over Christmas before the interview.

3. I had one a couple of years ago, so it may have changed a bit. We had to do an individual presentation with 4 or 5 of the other applicants and were asked some questions. The interviewers were lovely. We had 2 written tasks. The first was why our subject should be taught, and the 2nd one was that we were given a selection of pictures and asked to comment on the maths in one of the pictures. A couple of months later I then had an a second interview at one of the schools that they are linked with, which was more of an old fashioned formal interview.
    I was successful but by the time that they had replied after my interview I had already completed a maths enhancement course at my local University! A fellow PGCE placement student did do hers with them and said that they were good - she needed the flexibility, but much heavier on the paperwork than my university.
    hope this helps and good luck. If you've looked at KS3 and 4 you should be fine.

4. North-Star

North-Star New commenter

Thank you so much for your input
    I will make sure I have another look at KS3 and KS4 Maths, plus A-level stuff just to give me more confidence
    Cheers