1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview expenses

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrAK, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I have just started looking for Secondary vacancies overseas. I have a few skype interviews over the coming weeks and 2 interviews in London for jobs in the far east. However, only one of the schools will pay my expenses. This will be fairly expensive as I have to travel from Scotland. Does anyone with more experience know if this is unusual? I have also been invited last minute to a job fair in just under 2 weeks so I am worried that this could become a very expensive operation. I have no IB experience and I have heard that the job fairs in January focus on this. Would experienced overseas teachers stick to applying directly to schools and wait until Easter before bothering with a job fair? Any advice for this newbie would be much appreciated.

2. Some school will pay and some won't. Ask the school before your fork out if they'll cover expenses.

I have been to many interviews in London and paid my own expenses while the interviewers stay in 5 star hotels for a few nights!

It's not fair but that's how it is.

H

3. My last interview was in Dubai....Ahh bless them they didn't like skype interviews (dripping sarcasm there) cost me 600 quid for a flight, then you have accommodation for 2 nights, taxi fares and food. Ohh and no expenses.

4. Thanks for your feedback folks. I have been really lucky as I now have 2 interviews on the same day, and my expenses will be covered by one of the schools. this means I have London interviews with 3 great looking schools in SE Asia in addition to a couple of Skype interviews. Fingers crossed I get one.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that the appropriate adjective might be "smug", mrAK.

6. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Just a word of advice if I may; we shortlist on average 5 candidates for every position and I suspect most other reputable schools do the same - but an interview is really good news and shows you have got it right. Good luck!