1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Expenses

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mateusz, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Firstly apologies if this has already been covered. I did a search and trawled through the last 10 pages of posts, but couldn't find anything.
    Anyway a school wants me to fly out for a face to face interview and observed lesson. The school are willing to pay a small contribution towards my flight, but the cost of the trip would still be more than I am willing to pay when you factor in accommodation, coach fares and eating.
    I have interviewed for international jobs in the past, but these have all been in London. Do you think I am wrong in being put off by the cost of this trip? Has anyone else had to travel long distances to an interview at their own expense? What would you do in my situation?

2. Firstly apologies if this has already been covered. I did a search and trawled through the last 10 pages of posts, but couldn't find anything.
    Anyway a school wants me to fly out for a face to face interview and observed lesson. The school are willing to pay a small contribution towards my flight, but the cost of the trip would still be more than I am willing to pay when you factor in accommodation, coach fares and eating.
    I have interviewed for international jobs in the past, but these have all been in London. Do you think I am wrong in being put off by the cost of this trip? Has anyone else had to travel long distances to an interview at their own expense? What would you do in my situation?

3. Recently returned from an interview in London at a cost of £200 for train and budget hotel and food.

Didn't get the job and the school won't pay travel expenses.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

In almost every interview my travel expenses have been covered completely, including hotel accommodation and flights. The only exception being when interviewed by the European Schools in London ( they covered any UK expenses ).
    It is a judgement call that only you can make. Do you think that you have a very good chance of getting the job? Financially can you manage it? Do you want the job that much?
    If so, then go for it and all the best.

5. Just been to an interview in Dubai....cost over 600 pounds to get the flight. Luckily I had family there to pick me up and stay with. The school knew I had travelled a big distance, but haven't offered any travel expenses. Should I just email them and ask if there is a chance for some money back?

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Good luck with that one.
    It is a good idea to clarify these issues before the interview takes place, not after.

7. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Always check with the School before you book. If they say no and you are willing to pick up the tab, then go anyway. You might be able to see a couple of schools at the same time (week in January before Search for example). They might be a great school to work for.
    If our School asks you to attend interview in the UK or in one other place, I think they cover up to GBP 200 in the UK and GBP 300 elsewhere. If you are
    local or a short flight away, full re-imbursement - in all cases you
    need to provide receipts. That might not cover all your expenses - but it will go some way towards them.
    If you're on a different continent skype is less disruptive and getting more reliable; it also does not take you away from your current school for a week and you have no jetlag.

8. If it's more than you are willing to pay then I guess you tell them that and ask if they'd accept a skype interview instead.
    I've travelled for a job interview once and in that case the school paid 150 pounds towards my cost. I paid the rest. But I knew up front and judged it was worth the effort. In the end they offered me the job but I ended up accpting another one.
    We can't say what we'd do in your situation because it really depends on whether you can afford it, how much you want the job, how good you think your chances of getting the job are etc. People regularly spend a LOT to attend job fairs and personally I'd rather a targetted interview if I felt I had a good chance of the position.

9. Mateusz - where staff from here have been asked to travel back to the UK at considerable personal expense,and have expressed concern to me then I offer, as their current Principal, to contact the Head of the school back in the UK they are interviewing for. I can then ascertain that the school considers them a VERY serious candidate, rather than the number five choice who is being invited to make up the numbers, and it is worth their while to make the financial committment of flying back for the interview. We also discuss how much they really want the job they are being interviewed for - no point in going if <u>you</u> are not a VERY serious candidate. Ask you current Head, and he/she may be prepared to do the same for you.
    When we interview in the UK, we offer expenses to the successful candidate only. This way we weed out those people who are just fishing , or who are not VERY serious about our job. Likewise, we will only offer interviews to candidates we are VERY serious about as well in fairness.

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

My experience is more or less identical.

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Correct,, you should do this before travelling/interviewing and not after.
    I wouldn't even bother but put it down to experience

12. And please hint at the 'don't interview at this shister, cheap shoite school' that expects that of its applicants...'
    What a bunch of wnakers! (hope this helps!)

13. From the other side. I found that some teachers saw my interviews (held in London) as a free trip with some shopping and a show thrown in.

We made it clear that all interview expenses with receipts would be paid with the first month's salary if they were offered and accepted the post.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, if you have your interview on SKYPE, as more and more international schools are these days, then your interview expenses are not going to be too high.