1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview done but not sure if I should take it if offered

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by etotheip, May 15, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How bad would it be to be unemployed?

That's the basic question to ask. Plus: how likely are you to get another interview? Having said that, being in the wrong job can be pretty soul destroying, especially if you're a NQT,so do think about my 2 questions and see if you could hang on for another school if you really have cold feet from this one.

P.S. Don't tell'em they aren't the right school for you, tell'em you aren't the right person for their school! ;-)

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What did you say when they asked the "Are you still a firm candidate for the post?" Is it just on reflection that you're unsure or is it a possibly safety measure 'Well I didn't want it anyway' strategy?

3. Thanks for the responses and school helped me a lot as I didn't get the job. They said I lacked the passion but answered the questions well.

2 applications filled in and short listed twice :)

E.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So you didn't have

to make a difficult decision. Good! And good going on the interview ratio!Posted from my Galaxy Tab

5. Just to add, feedback is usually deliberately vague so don't put any store in it. The old 'lacked passion' line is particularly common!!!! I've had this gem before, along with half my office. Just something to say.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, saved you the job of turning it down or being uncertain.
    Theo usually suggests chocolate under these circumstances so go to Flowers . . . and see if there's been a delivery.

7. Thanks,

E.

8. skills324

skills324 New commenter

I wouldn't take this too easily. Who cares if you can answer the questions and blag an application form etc. Lacking in passion is really bad. No?

9. As I said above, this is a very common "excuse" used in feedback. It's not "really bad", no, it just means they preferred another candidate but can't really say why and don't want to be sued. The OP should definitely not reflect on their lack of passion.