1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Interview Dilemma

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SUgar1, Mar 15, 2011.

  1. I was hoping that somebody could give me some advice. I had an interview this morning that went very very well. I will find out early next week whether I have got the job or not.
    My problem is although the package is great and I think I will enjoy working at the school I have an interview next Thursday for a different school in my preferred country. I don't think the 2nd school has a great reputation though.
    So although I definitely prefer the sound of the 1st school and the package is better than the 2nd school, the 2nd school is in my preferred country.
    Do I go accept the 1st job if offered and still go to the 2nd interview anyway and try my luck?
    I have already had 3 days out for interviews and school may not be too pleased. I don't want to p155 anyone off by being out again!! Any advice?
     
  2. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Established commenter

    How happy would I be with either/ Were t'other dear charmer away!
    Only you can decide which is your priority but life and job hunting are often untidy.
    Experience suggests that you MAY have the result then but you you may not, so your problem may solve itself.
    Understandable, but *** a potential school off by accepting a post and then reneging can get you known on the circuit for all the wrong reasons.
    On a number of occasions I have been in the running for two or more jobs. Unless I discover that one of the schools is a total lemon (in which case I withdraw) my rule has been to accept the first school to make a firm offer. I then enjoy a tremendous sense of relief because it's all done and dusted.


     
  3. Thanks Mainwaring

    Yes I agree with the what you have said about life and job hunting being untidy. My priority is to be happy and live well. I think the first school can offer me the security of this and I am leaning more towards the first one for various reasons anyway. But as you say I may not get the answer I want next week and in that case I have no difficult decision to make, I go to the other interview. I definitely don't want to get off on the wrong foot on the international circuit by pi55ing off the first school either. Oh the decisions!! So much rests on this and I really don't want to make the wrong choice!
     
  4. You have a choice, Sugar! The market out there is pretty damn barren, so whatever you do, end up with a job.
    So often jobs are like double date girlfriends - you can't make up your mind and then, bang, both gone. [​IMG]
    That's my advice.
    M's was ok too, I suppose..

     
  5. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Established commenter

    Dear Boy. So kind.
     
  6. Thanks Foney,

    The last thing I would want to happen is to not have one and yes it is pretty barren out there at the moment! I will let you know what happens!!

    Thanks
     
  7. Credit where credit's due...


     
  8. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    Hi Sugar, just seen your PM and have replied.Glad it well...come to my country, we can compare notes on weather. Good luck with whatever you decide. Think about what you need from the package, if you need/want to save/travel, a good package is very useful. You can always go to the preferred country on holiday if you have a good package. [​IMG]
     
  9. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    Good advice from Mr M. If you like two enough to accept them then the first one to get you deserves you so go with it.
     
  10. I'm going to China!!!!!
     
  11. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Established commenter

    Well done. Enjoy!
     
  12. Thank you! I'm so chuffed! Just trying to write my letter of resignation! It's so hard. I think I will wait until I get my contract emailed through to hand it in though.
     
  13. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    Not really, leave it short and sweet and to the point.
    "Dear (name of Head ),
    I hereby tender my resignation effective from ( insert date ). I would also like to thank you for all the help and assistance you have given me during my time here.
    Yours,
    ( your name )"
    I have written a few of these in my time and am still on perfectly fine terms with all my previous schools. Even if you think the head is a complete tw*t, still thank him or her. You don't know when they could come in useful in the future.
    Good luck!
     
  14. Ooh, you sluuurrtt, Karvol...

     
  15. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    Thanks for the letter format Karvol. I have nicked it as my contract came though on Friday. [​IMG]
     
  16. MisterMaker

    MisterMaker Occasional commenter

    If this is a decent school they will have have asked your head for a reference before offering you a post, therefore it should be no surprise.
    If they did not ask for a reference...don't be too excited about your future...
     
  17. Oh they are all aware of the fact that I have been looking and interviewing and now they know I have a job. My head is thrilled for me, thankfully. :-D I suppose I am just afraid that I will hand my notice in and it will all fall through...just paranoia due to loads of immensely bad luck this year.
     
  18. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    I had that paranoia but the head happily emailed me confirmation of the offer before the official offer and then the contract came through. They are a good school, don't worry but do wait for the contract.
     

Share This Page