1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview decision

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by daisy1603, Jul 5, 2017.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Evening all,

I went for an interview today, I was the 3rd of 4 people they were interviewing and was told they would appoint by the end of the day. After sitting by the phone/email all day I heard nothing, one way or the other.

What could be the hold up? Can I reassure myself if I'd been a definite no they would have called me already?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Maybe the first choice wasn't able to accept that day so they didn't want to let others down in case first choice said no.
    Did you check they would let you know Yay or nay? There are people on here who've never heard back from interviews - awful I know.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry you didn't get it. If they're rude enough not to let you know, they're too rude to work for.

576 and Landofla like this.
  4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Or, alternatively, something prevented them from making a decision that day. Maybe there was an irate parent, or an urgent safeguarding issue, or they got to nine o'clock and decided to come back and discuss it with fresh minds this morning.

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  5. Flyingmachine

Flyingmachine New commenter

They need to inform the successful candidate, and have them accept before they can contact the other candidates. They will have listed applicants in order of preference. If they first declines the offer, they might ask the 'runner up'. May be they were unable to get in touch with the chosen candidate. May be something came up at the school that demanded their attention and they didn't reach a decision.

ViolaClef likes this.
  6. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Maybe they were going to call from home but forgot to take the phone numbers home with them. That happened to me once. If that were the case they should have called by now I hope.

7. daisy1603

Thanks all, had an email saying they are waiting to get references for some of the people they interviewed and hoped to get back with us with a decision tomorrow - fingers crossed!

It could be my references they are waiting for actually, yesterday was a bank holiday where one of my referees is.

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Sorry to be a little suspicious, but how could they tell you they would appoint at the end of the day if they still didn't have everyone's references?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Because they assumed a quick chase up would be all that was needed?
    A quick phone call to clarify is probably all that was essential before offering a post.

10. daisy1603

That's exactly what the head said to me at the end of the interview. Actually I thought they already had all the references as there was only 4 of us interviewed and there was a week between shortlisting and interview. But maybe as @caterpillartobutterfly said, they thought it would be a bit more straight forward to get them on the day than it actually was.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect you haven't got it based on my experience of teaching interviews - I'm sorry

Every teaching job I got I was informed on the day.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Me too.

13. daisy1603

They called this afternoon, I didn't get it. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

One interview I had a couple of years ago waited over 2 weeks before letting us know - that was beyond ridiculous. Turned out they decided to do a second round of interviews before deciding from both lots.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The general rule in teaching is that if you don't hear anything on the day then be prepared for the worst.

Sorry you didn't get it - we've all been there !

15. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Looking on the bright side, your paperwork at least is good enough to get you to interview, so you're heading in the right direction. :)

daisy1603 likes this.