1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview day

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by EchoAmelie, Sep 11, 2017.

1. EchoAmelie

EchoAmelie New commenter

I worked as a TA three years ago and loved every minute of it - I genuinely adore the job and working in a focused way with children. Unfortunately, I left that school due to harassment and took some time away from a school environment. I recently began to apply for TA jobs again and have been invited to an interview this week but feel a bit out of my depth.

I've been told the main component of the interview day is to do an activity with some children under the guidance of the class teacher and I'm a bit unsure of how best to prepare for this. Is there anything I need to be practising or reading up on?

Would appreciate any and all help.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi EchoAmelie Congratulations on getting an interview - competition is fierce these days, you must have completed an impressive application form!
    If you have not been asked to prepare an activity yourself, my guess is you will be in the classroom with the class teacher while they deliver the whole class input (English or Maths) and you will then be supporting a group while they complete their independent activity. If I'm right, listen carefully in the input so that you are clear what the learning question is and what the task is. The main thing they will be looking at is how you interact with the children. Introduce yourself, ask their names and try to use them. Make sure they understand the task - perhaps ask a child to remind the group what they have to do. Then, support them as needed - if possible steering them towards finding the answers to questions themselves, rather than just giving them the answers. Remember to smile!
    I would also have a good look at the school website - this will give you a 'feel' for the school - their ethos, recent events and you may find some policies there. It may also give you an idea for if they ask if you have any questions, eg "I can see you have a lovely school garden. I'm a keen gardener - would there be any possibility of running a gardening club?" You will probably get a question about safeguarding and behaviour management (how you would deal with an incident), so check out those policies if they're on the website.
    Best of luck with the interview and let us know how you get on.