1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview day tomorrow and dreading it

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by baileysonice, Jun 27, 2011.

1. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

I know I should be pleased to have an interview at all but I'm finding it hard to feel positive and confident. This will be my 12th interview since qualifying and I hate the 'thanks for coming but....' call at the end of an emotionally draining day. I have been successful once when I got a temporary job share so I know I can be successful!

I just get so nervous and find it hard to show/talk about what I really know/can do! I was just the same when I took my driving tests (note plural). I actually tried to drive through a red light during one as I was so stressed...

I have even considered having a quick swig of some dutch courage before going into school but don't think this is really the way to go...

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, horrid isn't it?
    Have another read of the Interview tips in the Welcome thread, and decide what are your Key Points to get across.
    You know that these are the really good things about you - take courage in that!
    The very fact that you have been shortlisted so often proves that you have A Great Deal To Offer A School And Its Pupils.

Well done for getting that interview - we look forward to a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

<a name="6835716">[/URL]

3. baileysonice

Thanks Theo!

I've been researching the school on its website and Ofsted reports as I'm really keen to get this job. I've thought of 4 key points so I'll keep practising them when I start to panic: I'm hard-working and organised; committed to pupils' progress (AfL, target setting); can establish good relationships and have good communication skills and I care about pupils' wellbeing.

I'll keep reminding myself that they shortlisted me (better re-read my personal statement) and the Head's already met me when I visited so he knows I'm not of athletic build...!

4. Hey- i got a permanent job offer subject to references today......... on my 13th!!!! don't give up! I felt exactly the same as you this time yesterday. If you are getting interviews you will get a job in the right place. I didn't think I'd shone today today but I was definitely more relaxed. My tip is to have a large glass of wine tonight and get a good sleep! Good luck.x

5. baileysonice

Thanks maltesers and well done!!

Wines's a good idea - maybe if I try to relax about it I'll perform better.

Have you posted a 'Dear Theo I got the job' message so you can get your shiny star? You certainly deserve it after 13 interviews (who says it's an unlucky number?!)

A permanent job - bet you're on Cloud 9!