1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview dates changing from those in job ad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kentishlass, May 18, 2012.

1. Anyone else had experience of the date of an interview being different to the one given in the job ad?
    I appreciate with a school there are several people involved in the job selection and interview process but it's really annoying when the date gets changes from the one originally given.
    I've just had to turn down an interview because I was invited to attend next week even though the ad stated interviews would be this week. This is because my partner has a minor op next week and we'd already had to get the date changed to one of my non-working days (I job-share) because I need to be there with him. As a result I had deliberately not applied for any posts where the interview would be on the same day as his op.
    I rang to see if it could be deferred until later in the day when I could get someone else to be with my partner at home, post-op, but they were not able to accomodate me.
    Anyone got any suggestions how to handle this should it ever happen again or for others who may experience similar difficulties?

2. Anyone else had experience of the date of an interview being different to the one given in the job ad?
    I appreciate with a school there are several people involved in the job selection and interview process but it's really annoying when the date gets changes from the one originally given.
    I've just had to turn down an interview because I was invited to attend next week even though the ad stated interviews would be this week. This is because my partner has a minor op next week and we'd already had to get the date changed to one of my non-working days (I job-share) because I need to be there with him. As a result I had deliberately not applied for any posts where the interview would be on the same day as his op.
    I rang to see if it could be deferred until later in the day when I could get someone else to be with my partner at home, post-op, but they were not able to accomodate me.
    Anyone got any suggestions how to handle this should it ever happen again or for others who may experience similar difficulties?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As you say, these things can be unavoidable for a school. The Head's father dies, the Deputy Head has a stroke, Ofsted turns up unannounced - loads of reasons.
    No, there isn't any way to handle it.
    If the school has to change the date, then it does, and it cannot stick to the original date for one or more of the candidates.
    A school changes the date very reluctantly, because it might mean that it loses some of its candidates, which it never wants to do.
    I'm sorry that this has turned out badly for you, but it's just a case of Grin And Bear it, I'm afraid.
    Nothing else to do.
    Best wishes