1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Interview confusion...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lizzii_2008, May 13, 2011.

  1. lizzii_2008

    lizzii_2008 New commenter

    I've manage to secure 3 interviews for next week but unfortunately 2 landed on the same day so I've had to make a decision regarding which to attend. Is it just a case of ringing the other school and saying I'm sorry I'm unable to attend the interview on whatever day or do I need an extended reason?
    Also, I have my first interview for a temporary 2 term job at the school I've always dreamed about working at and so I am extremely chuffed. However, my 2nd interview is a permanent job - what should I do if I am offered the temporary job?
    Lastly, a quick question about lesson observations...
    How can I make story sequencing enjoyable for a Year 1 class?
    If a school tells me to be as creative as I wish for a literacy based lesson with the theme of Pirates, do I avoid having children write things? What do you think? I have an idea in my mind and that's descriptive writing.
  2. Yeah I would phone the least favourite and be honest explain the situation and maybe hint for a different time if they are in the same area.
    Only my opinion so hopefully more will follow, however at the end of an interview you are likely to be asked 'are you still a firm candidate' and when your asked this its like being asked if we offer you the job are you going to take it. Therefore if you get offered a temp job then I don't think you can then go on to the perm, interview.

    As for the interview lesson you should be drawing on all the high quality lessons you have delivered this year! active learning, maybe sentence sequencing, acting, use music?

  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    You need to prioritise the school that looks the best bet for you- the schools are used to teachers turning down interviews at this stage of the year as we enter silly season.
    For the lesson do rely upon your exoperience of what has worked best as an interview lesson is not really the place to try something you are unsure of. Have a clear structure and be prepared to talk about how the lesson can be modified and developed.
  4. Follow the advcie given and ultimately you have to make decisions about which school you really want and if you can accept a temp job over a permanent one. Only you can decide what is best for you. Schools know that those invited for interview turn down requests as more and more schools pick off available staff. I know of one school that invited six to interview last year and by the day only one turned up as the others either had offers of jobs or decided to go to another school for an interview on the same day.
    This is why heads want decisions on the day and binding ones at that. The idea that a perosn could hold two possible job offers and decide or play one school off againsta another horrifies Heads and govenors. So it is an interesting time at this point in the school year!
  5. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    If the schools are close enough to each other then they will talk anyway. I has two on the same day and went with the one I knew best. I didn't get it but was invited for interview the day after at the other school after the heads had spoken (it didn't work out in the end but thats a different story entirely) x
  6. ScienceGuy

    ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

    In terms of the temporary v permanent post, being honest with the school offering the temporary post may be your best option i.e. saying that you want the job but that you have an interview later that week for a permanent position later that week and can yuou let them know at that point. If the school really want you then they may be prepared to wait for a couple of days

Share This Page