1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Concern in India

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Wanderer007, May 9, 2011.

1. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

If you haven't even got your degree yet, I'd be more preoccupied getting that under the belt, and dreaming of pastures new one step at a time, thereby reducing your problems. It'll enable you to apply for PGCE courses... which you may struggle to do for this coming September. Apply via GTTR, sit their interviews (which won't be a walk in the park!), and then complete the training year in 2012 (for peanuts). Once you complete a PGCE, you still have an NQT induction year before you have your full teaching wings... so more like 3 years from now. And we're not even talking about a Masters!

One step at a time SD_Lickiss, I fear that you're flogging a dead horse with the school/ interview you describe. Have you genuinely thought where you'd like to be in 5 years from now and if going so early will bode well for your CV? There are numerous threads with very wise words of advice - get a few years of patience and experience under the belt once you have QTS, and you'll open doors with more reputable schools. Good luck to you, hope it works out for the best

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Wanderer is 100% right. Get properly qualified first. I suspect that the school you describe wants you because it sees you as young, cheap and (I assume) pink.

3. Ditto.

It's amazing that you would even consider taking up a job when you haven't got the basic qualifications to cope.

Bit like me deciding to do a bit of amputation as I've got experience clippin' me toe nails.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I'd be concerned about getting the job too, in so far as what you perceive as success would actually be the worst thing you could do.
    No degree and no PGCSE, no worthwhile experience, and yet they still interviewed you! They had to scrape the barrell to short list you.
    Doesn't give me anything positive to say about the school other than avoid it like the plague.

5. PGCSE
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, it is PGCE, meaning Postgraduate Certificate in Education.

And whilst I am on it MM, I do not believe you are a school leader. Far too many basic errors in your posts.

6. I'm feeling the 'PGCSE' was not an error.

7. MM can be a bit of a bolshy sort sometimes, however, the PGCSE could have been an honest mistake 'Post Graduate Certificate of Secondary Education'. I know some heads that could have made that mistake and have made similar ones.
    It's why they're heads isn't it? [​IMG]

8. How very rude of me not replying. I did read all of your responses and then plunged into the dark realms of university finals...I now have a degree (hopefully, I'm assuming I've not failed).

Basically I went for the job there because there aren't any in the UK and I want to experience life abroad. Getting full-time TA job was a nightmare. I was royally screwed over in the budget cuts so everything was rather last minute and I don't want to work in the UK anymore anyway. I wanted to apply for the PGCE this September but I got the blesséd letter from the university I had a place to do my Masters degree at telling me they had scrapped the degree a week after the PGCE deadlines...and they wouldn't extend it.

I must admit I slightly resent being told that I have "no experience worth speaking about". I have lived at a boarding school for several years now and have had several part-time TA jobs as well as other employment working with children both paid and voluntary in the UK and abroad. I've got a lot of experience in working with disability children in particular and still didn't get a job working as a 1:1 support worker for a child with autism because I wasn't suitably qualified for special needs children...which is ridiculous. I come from a large family of teachers so I've got quite a lot of support and have thus listened to endless hours of conversation about teaching...I have also just completed a primary school placement in tandem with my degree (which was busy...) and so have taught a number of lessons.

I actually got the job and I accepted. Should probably qualify that my salary is exactly the same as the headmasters, school nurse and cooks etc. as the school is unusual in that respect but follows the British curriculum so it's not a weird one. I'm working in learning support but also doing small group work and hopefully teaching in science and geography.

Thank you for your responses, I'm braced for a busy year!

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I know exactly what you mean. My dad was an electrician and my mother taught swimming, which is probably why I swim like a sparks and wire houses like a swimming coach. I'm assuming that the body of your post is an excerpt from your CV, in which case it is a good attempt at making a little go a long way.
    Cooks and (particularly) nurses are very important people, so paying them as much as the Headmaster may be a shrewd recruitment ploy. Paying the Headmaster as little as you pay the cook may not be, especially if you want a Headmaster who knows his job.
    Indeed it is. On the evidence available I would guess at that the owners of the school are either idealists who are aiming at mixing gurukul methodology with formal curriculum (which is a contradiction in terms) or utter cynics who are telling you what they think you want to hear. In India either is quite possible.
    And I suspect that it will do you no real harm. The best of luck and let us know how you get on.