1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview clothes

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by 74327, Jan 31, 2019.

1. 74327

74327 New commenter

I am seeking a new post and wondered if I was over-dressing for interviews as I have noticed other applicants are not dressing as formally as me these days. (I wear a jacket and skirt or trousers).

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Really it's what you're comfortable with.... I'm of the peculiar mindset that a collar and tie instantly makes me more professional. So I can't work without one and would be a bag of nerves if I didn't have a suit on for an interview. I'm going into cricket umpiring (bottom-end amateur) and I can't imagine doing that without a tie on.

I used to think this weird myself especially when I tried to escape teaching and ended up in a call-centre with around 300 employees and only the (male) manager and myself in a collar and tie, even the middle-ranking females erred on the casual side of smart-casual. So what? It's a call centre, no customer ever saw them. I still got aggravated, especially as my trainer wore jeans and a batman T-shirt.

Mentioning this to a friend in sales he said he drove around Mon-Thurs, customer facing so always in a suit. But Fridays he'd slob around at home in pyjamas catching up on paperwork but if he rang a customer he'd put a collar and tie on! I absolutely get that.

I know what he'd say if you asked him.
    "Always respect the interview. Be smartly and professionally dressed".

I can't do otherwise myself.

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Always important to be smartly and professionally dressed at interviews in my opinion though there are variables. In Secondary, if you are a Physics graduate you could probably attend the interview dressed as Mr Blobby and still get the job but if you are going for an NQT Geography post, ones attire would probably be of more importance.

4. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Stick to your formal attire. I have retired now but that is what would be expected.

Good luck with the job hunting.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think it depends on the post you are applying for.
    Headteacher of a secondary school, then definitely a suit.
    Early years TA, probably not.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Formal clothes for an interview can never be wrong, whatever the role.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree they can never be wrong, but they aren't always necessary.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The OP wondered if she was over dressed. I don't think she was.