1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview but no lesson? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lawgrad, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and co,
    I've got an interview for a maternity cover next week but they've said that I won't have to teach a lesson. I've never heard of this before - has anyone else? And what does it mean? Have they already got someone in mind and they are only going through the motions? Or have they invited so many applications for interview that they couldn't possibly have time to organise an observation for everyone?
    Any ideas welcomed.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it sometimes happens.
    No, that would be a waste of time, especially as they don't actually HAVE to interview.
    Unlikely - that, too, would be a waste of time.
    Schools just sometimes do it this way. Rarely, but they do.
    But be ready: (a) with the elements of a good/outstanding lesson on the tip of your tongue, in case they ask you (b) if it's Primary, be prepared for a quick whizz into a class and asked to do something for 5 minutes with the children - not a lesson, but something to show how you relate to them.
    Well done for getting that interview!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar at 2pm on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. Dear Theo,

Thanks for your excellent advice and your reliable response. Much appreciated!