1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview at independent school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by greeneyes, May 18, 2019.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I have an interview next week for an independent school. I’ve spent my last 16 years teaching in secondary/FE so I am rather apprehensive about the whole thing (intimidated even!).
    Teaching what looks like last lesson of the day after a lot of interviews and tour (not used to this - teaching usually in the morning).
    Can anyone warn me what to expect? It’s for an English post and the lesson is to Y9 students (not MA students).

2. tonbridge87

tonbridge87 New commenter

Good luck on the interview. Have you read the various blogs in the getting a job section about the independent system and interviews? They are very useful. Firstly, do your homework on the school; independents are very different, some are very academic whilst others stress a more holistic education. Is it boarding and, if so, what is your view on it and the commitment to a 6-7 day working week? I would also stress what else you can bring to the subject and the school. In most independent schools the pay off between smaller classes, longer holidays and, sometimes, better pay, is that you are prepared to take teams at weekends, run the play and generally be involved in the extra curricular elements of the school So, one part of the interview process will focus on what else you are bringing to the school as well as your educational experience. I would avoid too much of the state school 'edu speak', but it does depend upon the school and what their focus is.

For the lesson with Yr 9 they will probably be more motivated than some students, but it does vary from school to school. I assume you have been given a lesson to teach, so go with that but stretch them at first to see how good they are. If you see they are not getting it pull back. There is likely to be more teacher led direction from you and make it a lesson that shows your best points; warmth and interaction with pupils, setting a good pace, challenging them etc. Be authentic and give it your best shot, hope it goes well!"

pepper5 likes this.
  3. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Thank you for replying. I have read up on the school but am still rather nervous about the whole process!

Trying to focus on my lesson so I can trial run it. I’ve also thought about what you said about expectations the school would have.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. manc

manc New commenter

You are very lucky to have mostly morning teaching in your practice thus far. This won't be the case in a school setting. You are very unlucky to get the graveyard shift for your interview lesson. The system of the interview is loaded against you. Very unfair. Even the Archangel Gabriel is going to struggle last lesson.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

greeneyes

I will be praying for you - you will be fine.

6. sci

sci New commenter

Dont forget to ask if they are in the teachers pension.

7. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Ask about pay. I nearly walked out of my last indie interview as they paid main scale which is a joke. If they want me to pretend I love their pompous 'community', give up my evenings, mornings, saturdays, holidays and be humbled by parents as standard they need to cough up.

jarndyce likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If that's your attitude and view point, then you probably shouldn't be applying to independent schools.
    Sounds like the school had a lucky escape.

BTBAM85 likes this.