1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview at independent prep school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by isi_smith, Oct 12, 2011.

1. HI I know there is already a lot of stuff about this topic already but mine seems slightly different. Apparently there are 2 rounds to my interview. 1st round is a 'getting to know you ' chat with the Head and then a Maths & English test. Head seemed certain there was nothing to prepare for !! I guess if I'm successful 2nd round will be to teach a lesson ( on a different day ).
    Do I take it for this that this school is very academic? it is a non selective one though . Any ideas on what the test might consist of- I'm not looking forward to that ! Also is the 'getting to know you ' chat really just a formal interview? Should I be prepared for the 'normal' interview style questions.
    Any advice on this would be helpful - Thank you !

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    Now, you should realise that there is no such thing as an informal interview!
    Go to the Welcome thread and open the Interview clickables. Then, if you haven't already, go to the Independent Forum, read their Welcome thread, and do a search generally on that forum for "interview" .
    Think in particular what you will be able to offer in sport, clubs, etc. Enthusiasm may be just as important as skills!
    As for the level of the school, it may just be that they have had a bad experience with new teachers whose level of grammatical accuracy (including punctuation) has been dragged down by too many text messages . . .
    If you passed the NQT tests, then in theory there is nothing to worry about.
    But do think carefully about preparing the informal chat with the Head.
    Best wishes - we look forward to you starting a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

3. Hi,

I had the experience of an interview in an indie prep last year (after only ever being in state secondary). The interview was very quirky and weird!!! Obviously, every indie is different, but I would say that they tend to not follow the same interview protocol as state schools. The 'chat' I would expect to be just that - yes, important because they are judging you but really I think they will want to see whether they actually like you and whether you are an interesting person! No need for well prepared, detailed answers about the latest initiatives I've had said.

As for the tests, not exactly sure, but again I expect they will be looking for a competent level of numeracy and literacy.

Remember you're judging them too!
    Good luck.

4. Many thanks for your advice! It's tomorrow so I think I will prepare for some 'normal' interview questions anyhow ! [​IMG]