1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview at Canterbury Christ University PGCE History

Discussion in 'History' started by rutcalvotello, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I am from Spain and I have applied for a PGCE course in History at Canterbury Christ University. The interview is next week and I dont know what to expect. Since english is not my mother tongue I am afraid that I´ll be so nervous that I wont be able to speak.

I would appreciate some suggestions, specially if somebody has been interviewed there and knows what kind of questions they might ask me!!

Cheers from Spain!

2. Hi,
    I am from Spain and I have applied for a PGCE course in History at Canterbury Christ University. The interview is next week and I dont know what to expect. Since english is not my mother tongue I am afraid that I´ll be so nervous that I wont be able to speak.

I would appreciate some suggestions, specially if somebody has been interviewed there and knows what kind of questions they might ask me!!

Cheers from Spain!

3. Hi

I had an interview at Canterbury in December for History PGCE and got a place, if you leave an e-mail address I can give you an idea of what happens at the interview.

Keira

4. If your spoken English is anything like your written English, then you are impressive!

Good Luck

5. I got in!!!
    xx

6. gmf

gmf

rutcalvotello

congratulations. But now you need to know (if you asre not aware of it) that schools in Kent vary considerably - from the very academic (grammar, i.e. selective at age 11) schools to the very bad indeed (in terms of results and behaviour - most, if not all of these ar non-selective schools, sometimes 'hiding' under the name "High School" or "Community College"). There are some - but not very many - good non-selective schools.

Be careful where you are sent for your 2 practices - one should be selective & one non-selective so you get a true cross section of academic teaching (including A level), and also the less able. If you get offered a choice of placements, do some research before agreeing...

7. gmf: Unfortunately the OP may not get a choice - I didn't and went to two non selective schools.

8. gmf

gmf

Re: Post 7

Yes - that can happen (which doesn't make it right), but clearly is more likely to happen if one doesn't know 'the system'.

One has got to remember that you (the student) is the customer, and therefore should have (at least) a say in what provision is offered. IMHO training without teaching able students could (& I stress 'could, not 'would') be career limiting...

9. gmf: Yes, unfortunately that is the case. It makes it difficult to apply for grammars and makes a difficult employment situation (there are few jobs) worse :(

10. Having completed a History PGCE at Canterbury last year, gmf, there's not much IMO that you can do in terms of choice of placement schools other than to live in a certain area of Kent. You are allowed to indicate your preferences of area but these appear to be ignored in practice - they are still likely to give you 1 'challenging' school and one selective school placement, and someone has to be sent on placement in Medway. You are quite right in your assessment of Kent schools overall, however.
    Good luck for next year, rutcalvotello!

11. I'm probably going to dump myself right in the pooh for saying this but Christ Church are extremely trendy in their apporach..

So make sure you are up on the latest "initiatives" in education and take a look at the KCC website for news of what initiatives are running in Kent schools.. there's some crazy stuff. No matter how barking it is.. say you support it with all your heart!

Good luck...

12. *would tend to agree with Hereward*

I definitely found this. If I were you OP I'd research things like compacted KS3 and a cross curricular project based approach to learning. These are very "in" right now.

The most important thing is whatever your private feelings, suck it up and look cheerful. The year is just a series of hoops to jump though and looking weak makes it harder.

13. Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I have an interview at Canterbury for the History PGCE and was wondering what kind of questions to expect?

Thanks in advance:)

14. seema12 can you leave an email address on here and I'll get back to you, had my interview in Dec, and got a place.

Keira

15. hello i have an interview in canterbury as well and was wondering can you give me some help and advice on it? my e mail address in amandadoh@hotmail.com
    thanks

16. I know this is an old thread but I have an interview at canterbury soon and I'm really confused about what they actually want prepared for the interview! It says to bring a resource you would use to introduce a topic of your choice but then it says we have to explain why we chose it and to "model i.e. teach how you would use this to teach a class of children". Does this mean I should have a presentation ready or just an explanation!? thanks

17. I've sent you a PM.

18. Hi Keira,

I am going to have an interview at Canterbury, could you give me some advice on this please?