1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview at Bristol Uni for secondary English PGCE - any advice/tips?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Beckd, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Beckd

Beckd New commenter

Hi all
    I've just found out that I've got an interview at Bristol in a couple of weeks for a place on the secondary English PGCE.
    I'm not sure what to expect so I was wondering if anyone has any advice about the interview process?
    Thanks a lot
    Becky

2. Hi Becky,
    I'm afraid my interview was for MFL, not English, so it might be very different, but I'll share my experience anyway. Hope it helps!
    First of all, everyone at Bristol was lovely and really helped me feel comfortable. My interview was individual and started with the presentation I'd been asked to prepare, then questions about my background and experience (some in Spanish). I then had to correct a written French exercise as if I were a teacher and do some writing in French and Spanish. The tone of the whole interview was relaxed and slightly informal.
    I got my offer about a week later.

3. Oops, posted too quickly, I just wanted to add "good luck"!

4. I had an interview for English Secondary about 2 weeks ago but at York not Bristol. My interview consisted of:
    The interviewers first explaining the structure of the course
    Group task - there were only a few of us so it was pretty relaxed
    Marking task - Take a watch in case they don't have a clock in the room you're marking in
    Individual interview - presentation of starter and then questions
    It's all pretty informal tbh. The main thing I would say is try be confident and enthusiastic in your answers. Refer back to your experience in schools as much as possible!

Does it say anything on the letter about what the interview consits of?

5. Beckd

Beckd New commenter

Thank you!

6. Hi Toulonnaise,
    I too have an interview for a secondary MFL PGCE this week and I was just wondering if there were other hints/tips you could give me? Did they ask you any particularly difficult questions etc?
    Thanks so much

7. I'm really sorry, I've only just seen your post. You've probably already had your interview, so I hope it went well for you. What are your impressions?
    Just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing, I'll answer you anway.
    First of all, I'd say "just relax" the tutors really are nice and are not there to trap you. Most of the questions I was asked focused on my background and whether or not I was aware of how much work the PGCE would be (I have two young children). The questions were adapted to my level in both languages, they would be different for everyone, but expect to do the first 5 minutes or so of the interview in your main language, then a bit of chatting in your second language and the rest in English. That's if all the interviews are like mine, which might not be the case.
    Again, the tutors aren't there to trip you up or to trap you!