1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview at an unsatisfactory school

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by aleyne, Jun 27, 2012.

1. I have just finished my PGCE year and have an interview on Friday at a school which has recently been graded as unsatisfactory by OFSTED (although the department I will be working in was graded good and outstanding in all it's observations).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, or there is anything I should be made aware of? Is it still ok to do my NQT year in an unsatisfactory school? Do I need to contact the LEA to make sure?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. I would contact your LA as soon as possible as it may turn out that you can not complete induction in an unsatisfactory school and you wouldn't want to risk having to turn down any other potential interviews because of attending this one.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There is a world of difference between unsatisfactory and special measures so it depends upon exactly why it is unsatisfactory Even Special measure schools can still have NQTs with HMI permission. In most instances where individual departments are good then NQTs continue to serve induction in them.