1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview at a Catholic school for RE teacher

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Lollypop01, May 5, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I'm going for an interview next week at a Catholic school, and would like some help. Can anyone give me any examples of questions they've been asked when interviewed for an RE teacher at a Catholic school? Also I'm not Catholic, but am Christian, so what kind of things might they ask me to make sure I'll uphold the Catholic ethos etc?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi all
    I'm going for an interview next week at a Catholic school, and would like some help. Can anyone give me any examples of questions they've been asked when interviewed for an RE teacher at a Catholic school? Also I'm not Catholic, but am Christian, so what kind of things might they ask me to make sure I'll uphold the Catholic ethos etc?
    Thanks in advance!

3. hi I work in a Catholic School and although I am a Catholi, I have done 2 interviews in a catholic schools..as a Christian but not catholic they may test you a bit see have you done your homework....
    I would say be very aware of their mision statement... thats a good indicator for the Catholic ethos.....I got asked something in both interviews I did for Catholic schools on thier mission statement... flummoxed me first time was prepared for it second time....
    also the faith instruction versus faith formation debate I got asked that( hedged my bets and said you cant have one without the other...)
    other than that you be honest about not being a catholic and needing support to ensure you uphold that ethos... they will see straight through you if you try bluff it better tell them upfront...
    best of luck let us know how you get on!
    [​IMG]

4. Hi

Hope I am not too late.

Get the ethos/mission statement of the school and refer to it in your interview.

Know the challenges RE teachers face today and how you would respond to them

You will be asked about how to deal with a controversial issue e.g. Gay Marriage debate at the moment and how you would respond to it.

Know how you will 'live the ethos' in all areas of your work so be prepared to think of situations you can refer to as examples e.g. when laying you classroom rules you'll make sure they reflect Catholic Values and the Beatitudes.

As you take a tour of the school, look for features that make the school distinctively Catholic and compliment them on it. Say how its good to see that it stands out from other schools and the nature of it is clearly visible in the staff/students you've met.

Good luck.