1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview - asks for portfolio of work

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ZAB, May 7, 2012.

1. ZAB

ZAB

Please help, I have an interview this week for a Primary teacher but have not taught for 3 years due to having children and have been asked to take a portfolio of work to talk about at interview. I honestly have nothing to take and naiively never thought about it when I left to have children. What do I do? I know I could do the job really well. Thinking of taking a mind map showing what I have done? What I could offer? etc though I did said all that in my application. Any other suggestions?

2. ZAB

ZAB

Dear Theo or anyone please advise!!

Bump!! Interview tomorrow!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your idea of a mind map, showing ideas would seem to be a good one.One showing perhaps your approach to teaching, showing what you could offer?
    But have you got some old Schemes of Work/ lesson planning examples to show what your planning is like to take along? Or examples of worksheets you've made, any examples of how you've helped colleagues etc?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Right, nothing to put in a portfolio . . . Well, it's not the end of the world, and in theory you shouldn't have taken anything away from the school when you left, so in one way it's correct that you have no samples of work, no photos.
    But - lesson plans? Schemes of work? Learning materials? Still got the same computer? - have a look to see what's there.
    If not, then your idea of a miond map illustrating what you did is a good one.
    But don't worry about it too much. Remember that whatever you said about yourself in the application has impressed them - they have picked you out of what was probably a huge pile.
    Do go to the Welcome thread and read the general advice in the Interview clickables.
    And then read this: * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done on getting your interview - we look forward to you starting a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Tip for next time: put Dear Theo in the title so I open it earlier!
    Best wishes.

5. ZAB

ZAB

Thank you Theo and Lara,

I do have old schemes of work and worksheets etc, I will take that. You have both made me feel a lot better.

For the record I have applied for a lot of jobs with no success but then I read your info on producing an Executive Summary and the first job I sent it to I got an interview, so a huge thank you Theo.