1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW - asking for time off?!? Pls read

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hello,
    If you are reading this, please reply because I am stressing!
    I've got an interview tomorrow for an LSA post (I'm a fully-qualified teacher but there are no jobs round here...!!) - and yesterday I found out that my name had been picked from the ballot for Centre Court tickets for Wimbledon!!! [​IMG]
    Because I live at the opposite end of the country, I will need to stay over in London and take two days off - a Thursday and a Friday in June.
    I want to be honest and tell them about it tomorrow, but is this wise? I was thinking it might be better to say that before I heard I had an interview, I booked a weekend break and I'm really sorry but I will need these two days off. Think that might sound better than admitting I need 2 days off to go to London to watch the tennis?!
    I really don't want to lie - of course, because it's just not nice. And it's so impractical! What if I get the job and make friends with colleagues who want to add me on Facebook - where I have been burbling on about how excited I am to get these tickets? And I really, really don't want to have to ring in sick and spend all day hiding from the TV cameras. But I was SOOOO lucky to have got Centre Court seats and can't give them up!
    What would you do???
    Thanks so much in advance xxx

2. Hello,
    If you are reading this, please reply because I am stressing!
    I've got an interview tomorrow for an LSA post (I'm a fully-qualified teacher but there are no jobs round here...!!) - and yesterday I found out that my name had been picked from the ballot for Centre Court tickets for Wimbledon!!! [​IMG]
    Because I live at the opposite end of the country, I will need to stay over in London and take two days off - a Thursday and a Friday in June.
    I want to be honest and tell them about it tomorrow, but is this wise? I was thinking it might be better to say that before I heard I had an interview, I booked a weekend break and I'm really sorry but I will need these two days off. Think that might sound better than admitting I need 2 days off to go to London to watch the tennis?!
    I really don't want to lie - of course, because it's just not nice. And it's so impractical! What if I get the job and make friends with colleagues who want to add me on Facebook - where I have been burbling on about how excited I am to get these tickets? And I really, really don't want to have to ring in sick and spend all day hiding from the TV cameras. But I was SOOOO lucky to have got Centre Court seats and can't give them up!
    What would you do???
    Thanks so much in advance xxx

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Tell 'em at the end of the interview after they ask you if you're still interested.
    Something along the lines of 'yes, I am, very, but I need to tell you that....' - I'm sure they will understand. Chances like these don't come along every day! And if they don't then they are uncaring, unromantic, unimaginative, wouldn't want to work there anyways.

Help?? [​IMG]

4. Tell them - it's best to be honest for all the reasons you've said.
    You never know, they might suggest doing something educational on it - like an assembly or something using your pics and info etc...!
    Good luck

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I agree that you should be totally honest. Lies get found out! I've been in a similar situation twice (termly supply contracts). I've been upfront and honest and it hasn't stopped me getting the jobs. Enjoy the tennis with a clear conscience.

6. You good, honourable, noble people are right, I know it. Thanks so much for the assurances that honesty might not cost me the job. God, if this is the week I got Wimbledon tickets and, FINALLY, a salary, it will be the best week ever!!! [​IMG]
    And the JobCentre can kiss my a--- inappropriate language for a Wimbledon attendee.
    Thanks again, lovely people! xxx

7. funny! [​IMG]

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Totally tell them and be honest, but after they have offered you the post!

Or if you really want to tell them first do so at the end when they ask if you have any questions or anything else you want to say.