1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview as Nursery Manager - Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by choceater, Aug 21, 2006.

1. By some miracle I have got an interview for a Nursery Manager's job. I've read katycustard's advice to someone else about the foundation stage curriculum/assessment, but I'm worried about the possible questions they might ask about the actual management - as I have never done this before, and am a teacher - with a little nursery experience. I shouldn't really have got this far, but I'm desperate for a job and think I could do it if I got the chance - but don't think I can do the interview! Any advice please, however obvious??

2. By some miracle I have got an interview for a Nursery Manager's job. I've read katycustard's advice to someone else about the foundation stage curriculum/assessment, but I'm worried about the possible questions they might ask about the actual management - as I have never done this before, and am a teacher - with a little nursery experience. I shouldn't really have got this far, but I'm desperate for a job and think I could do it if I got the chance - but don't think I can do the interview! Any advice please, however obvious??

3. Answer all the question truthfully and in your own words otherwise you might end up in a job your not suitable for.

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

choceater- you probably have had the interview by now and hopefully will have the job! I moved house and had no internet access for a few weeks.
    Just in case it's not too late for advice here goes.
    Nursery manager type questions will include normal teacher type questions e.g. best practice, planning, assessment, partnership with parents etc but also:
    ? Leading a staff team, what your style of leadership is, how will you involve all staff in decision making etc.
    ? Professional development, both yours and other staffs, the importance of etc. performance management/appraisal systems
    ? Multi-agency working, what experience (if any) benefits of etc
    ? budget - what experience, how will you prioritise etc
    ? Juggling time/resources how do you cope under stress (and please don't give one word answers. you'd be surprised how many people say 'fine'!!)
    ? Transition between home and nursery and nursery and school or schools if your children move onto different schools.
    ? Keeping up to date with national initiatives, I would usually ask someone for something new they had just heard/read about and their views on it.

Well choceater, I am in a different time zone and it?s late now so I can?t think of any more. Let me know if you want any thing more specific.

5. Thanks both of you!
    Katycustard - those questions were almost exactly what I was asked - so they would have been useful.
    However, it's too late - but I GOT THE JOB!
    And so far, I love it; the money is less than in teaching, and the hours are officially longer, but it's really enjoyable, and quite a challenge. The staff are great and it all looks positive. I will let you know in a few weeks time if I've changed my mind. Right now I must go and do some planning!

6. katycustard

congratulations! sorry I was too late, but you did it anyway!!
    KC

7. Hey well done Choceater: I hope you enjoy the job. Ther is nothing quite like regular salary cheques and a place in a great staff team.
    Les

8. How are you getting on choceater? I have a similar interview tomorrow! Am at the moment attempting to answer the q's that katy posted, so thanks katy!

9. katycustard

Good luck Mrs. Chips, let us know how you got on.
    KatyC