1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview and tricky lesson observation!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi and help wanted!
    I have been shortlisted for a job there were 120 applicants and i got down to the last 6 which is great!!!! I really want this job but I am so nervous. I have to teach a 25 min lesson on a problem solving activity. However imam finding it hard to think of an activity which is practical, engaging and well differentiated. There are also two chn with reading problems and they are a mixed Year 5/6 class. Please do you have any simple ideas?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is great that you have made it to the last 6. But if you make it to the post you are going to have to be able to come up with lesson ideas to fill a whole week...surely you can manage 25 mins?

If there are children with reading problems, don't give out written instructions.

Best of Luck and fingers crossed for you.

3. Possibly a little harsh. Once in school there are generally long and medium term plans to guide you and you know the children and their needs more than you do for a one off lesson.
    One thing I love about TES is reading the help some people give others and the ideas that they share, some of which I happily try out in my classroom if they are things I haven't thought about.
    To the OP
    Have you been on the NGfL and/or Nrich sites? There are lots of problem solving ideas on there and the Nrich site gives ideas as to the level of difficulty.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It wasn't harsh when I read it to myself originally. But seeing it on your post, yes maybe it was a little. I didn't intend it quite how it sounds. It was meant to be more 'come on you CAN do this, you really can.' Wrist feels firmly slapped...

Once you have some ideas of subject and content lots of people will help you with the fine tuning.

Have a look at the sites above and at teachingideas or primaryresources. Hamilton Trust also has some plans that you could nick ideas from.

Sorry for not sounding as kind as I meant.

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Another vote for Nrich, I get a lot of problem solving ideas from there!