1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview and acceptance process- Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teachercatesy, Sep 25, 2019.

1. teachercatesy

teachercatesy New commenter

Good morning,
    Can people charge their experiences with what happens after an interview.
    A Skype interview then what?
    In Singapore do they let you know you were successful immediately then do the police/security checks?
    Or they decide who is successful then do all the checks and once completed then they contact successful applicants?

What’s people’s experiences with time line for this to happen? A week after an interview? 4 weeks?

Thanks, I’ve been looking but haven’t seen anything on the forums recently.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Don't know if there's a specific thing for Singapore, but for a good school the process would roughly be:

1. Skype interview (and remember they may well be interviewing other people and this can take time)
    2. Contact successful candidate to ensure interest
    3. Carry out checks & references
    4. Assuming 3 all works out, confirm definite appointment with candidate.
    In general, schools don't contact unsuccessful candidates and if they do it's at the end of the process. I would assume that if you haven't heard after a couple of weeks, you've been unsuccessful.

teachercatesy likes this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Do you mean you've already had the interview and are waiting to hear?

Often there is a timeline in the application form, other than that it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Also, there's no chance of them letting you know immediately after an interview unless you're the only candidate. Usually there are people to interview after you and then they will need time to discuss. Also, it's not like a face to face interview where everyone is interviewed back-to-back. They will probably interview over several days. Ours usually take a week in total with having to agree appropriate times across time zones.

5. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

I can tell you about my Singapore interview! My references were called first - then I had a skype interview with some senior teachers. I then got shortlisted to be interviewed with the Headteacher a couple of days later. After this interview it took them 1 week to send me a job offer and contract- I think it might have been sooner but Chinese new year break was the day after my interview. The MOE then do the checks on all your teaching qualifications and once that is sorted they start processing your work permit.