1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

HI all,
    Can anyone give me some pointers for a skype interview ?
    Also how does the English curriculum differ to IPC IEYC and IMYC ?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Skype interview - make sure you have a clear background, good lighting, and that no one (including pets) is going to interrupt you. Speak clearly and if you hear an echo, acknowledge it.

Curriculum - the IPC is all about thematic learning, discovery and enquiry. Some UK schools teach like this anyway.

3. mrjack

Thank you. Appreciate the pointers, any other tips appreciated.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The great and good Harry Deelman, of Search Associates, often used to recommend that candidates should have an interview portfolio. In your portfolio, you can put everything and anything that you think might support or enhance your chances of getting a job.

Well, what exactly should you put into a portfolio? For a start, you could include some big colour photos of you with smiling students who are happily engaged in worthwhile educational things. You could put in some letters from grateful parents. You could have some articles you have had published, displays you have made, worksheets you have designed, certificates from courses you have attended, photos of plays you have directed, etc., etc.

Well, if you are going to have a SKYPE interview, then I would suggest that you could also prepare an online portfolio. Then, whenever you are asked a question, you can say, "Yes, I have done that. It is in my online portfolio."

Wikispaces might be a good place to create your online portfolio and you can include the link to your online portfolio in your CV.

agcb256 likes this.
  5. mrjack

Thanks, that's great advice.

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Yep, the nothing in the background is really important, meaning having to move your laptop etc to an ideal location and get good lighting so you don't look spooky:eek:. Also practice looking at the camera and tilting your head, raising/lowering the chair height etc. so you don't look as if you are talking down to someone and are eye level. Practice with a photobooth type etc app so that you can see how you come across and what colour works best for you. Practice getting a lamp and shining it on your face at angles, to get the right profile/contours etc.

Believe me, there's a lot more to it if you are a woman.

What a hassle? But unfortunately, these days, how you look plays a big part. Look at how Trump, Corbyn and Johnson have tidied up in recent years. Some people even use photoshop filters so that they look like 'film stars,' on Skype. Whatever next?o_O

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't really get the 'nothing in the background' advice. I've never interviewed anyone and thought "if only that background was blank".

Unless you have a massive Swastika on the wall it's not going to cause a problem. Just dress smartly.

Make sure your webcam is decent, your connection Is stable and your chair is at the right height. Beyond that it's all about the content.

8. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Background might be important but might also be useful - eg if you're doing your interview in your classroom, you might arrange yourself so your best display is behind you.

History teachers might get away with the swastika, though...…

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Oh dear. Background ans swastikas. Can't we do a bit better than that, folks?

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Perhaps I can: We have a yard-high African tribal mask on our living room wall. When the Reverend Mr Toad (our private name for a particularly obnoxious parson) came to visit, Mrs M worried that he might assume that we were not-so-secret fetishists.

The swastika is fine if you are Hindu but of course the interviewer may not know that.

576 and spanboy like this.
  12. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I suppose even a swastika would be a step up from a signed poster of Gary Glitter, or proudly displaying a framed 'Jim Fixed It For Me' medal on the wall ;)

13. 576

576 Established commenter

Hindu... Japanese... Buddhist... Roman.

So many groups used this symbol before and after the Nazis with no negative connotations.